We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Non-resort accommondation KK or islands?

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Non-resort accommondation KK or islands?

We are planning on spending 2 nights in KK as part of a larger trip around Borneo. Everyone raves about Rasa Ria, but I'm afraid resorts are not our scene.

We need a peaceful friendly place where we can relax for 2-3 days with a nice clean beach, beautiful surroundings and reasonable amenities (somewhere to eat). It can be on an island or in KK or out of KK.

Does this place exist?

I've read that Gaya could fit this description, but I have read reports of pollution. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Eve

Borneo, Sabah...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Non-resort accommondation KK or islands?

Dear Eve

Unfortunately nearly all the beach front locations are taken up with Resorts.

You can get some nice hotels in KK itself that are close to the beach. I would Suggest Hotel Shangri-La (3 star), Promenaide Hotel (3 Star) or if you want budget, then the Borneo Backpackers is a nice clean place to stay.

Borneo, Sabah...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Non-resort accommondation KK or islands?

Dear Eve

unfortunately nearly all the beach's are taken over by the resorts.

If you want to stay in KK, then there are several good hotels that you can choose from. I would recomend the Hotel Shangri-la (3 star - not the resort chain) or the Promenaide Hotel (also 3 star). They all have restaurants in the hotel.

If you want a more budget option, then the Borneo Backpackers is a nice, clean and friendly place to stay. There is a local restaurant located below the backpackers.

The pollution on Gaya can be quite bad at times - it really depends on the tides washing the rubish in from the sea.

I hope that this is helpful.

Jason

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Non-resort accommondation KK or islands?

For a true desert island experience I have had a 'home stay' on the island of Mabul off the East coast, (15 minutes from Sipidan), three times.

The home sits over the water and has 8 double rooms and food is cooked by a lady from the village from the end of the island.

There are no shops, (only shacks selling sweets and basics), and no restaurants, but the ambience is fantastic.

Spend your nights laying outside on your mattress on the small private jetty watching shooting stars overhead and during the day snorkel with giant turtles and Black Tip Reef sharks.

The locals are charming and friendly and love to speak to the very few Westerners who make it here.

They have proper toilet and shower facilities, (two, shared) and rooms have a proper sprung double bed and no other furniture but hey, what else do you need with this locality?

Cost; three nights full board with boat excursions and snorkling equipment was about 90GBP this year in March.

See website www.geocities.com/arunghayat

You can contact them via email but do not be put off by thier 'broken English', these people can not be faulted.

Give them 'Steve and Julie's' regards. (If it helps, our ages are 48/51 and we will continue to return as many times as possible).