We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats good to see?

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
Whats good to see?

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me out.......

I have looked at Reviews and other peoples ideas of what to see but just wanted to see if anyone had more personal ideas of what is good to see.

This is my first time travelling alone as i have recently moved to Kuala Lumpur. I am a 22year old female from England and just want an idea of what is local to where i am staying

I have a Hostel in Love Lane so could anyone recommend interesting or just worth a see places that are within waling distance as I am only staying for a couple of days and want to see as much as i can?? Or if you feel for one of them days may be better to get a bus somewhere please recommend?

Also good restaurants and recommended food thats not too spicy :)

As I say first time travelling alone so am new to all this and easier places to get to the better :)

Thank you to anyone who can help

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whats good to see?

Sorry forgot to mention my trip is to Penang, Georgetown Hostel in Love Lane :)

Edited: 4:07 am, December 16, 2013
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whats good to see?

I'm not sure anyone will tell you anything you haven't already read. You can walk to most places in Georgetown from Love Lane so just get out there and explore for yourself. Same goes for food. You may enjoy Steak Frites in Love Lane - probably some of the best steak you'll find on the island.

What I would urge is caution if you're staying in love Lane as it has been the crime hotspot (bag snatches etc) of Georgetown. Two CCTV cameras were installed this year but there have still been reported incidents. I don't wish to alarm you but better to know this in advance so you don't go out with anything you'd be devastated to lose.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whats good to see?

to take in as much as possible in such a short stay .. would suggest you contact Ocean Jupiter .. who will tailor a tour for you and take you round in late model aircon car ...this way you will be able to get to see more places in your short visit .. for eating .. suggest Red Garden Hawkers Centre

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whats good to see?

Love lane, within 1 km radius, you might take days to explore all. Go to Jalan Kapitan Keling, which is down the from the love lane. All major worship buildings, church, mosque, Chinese & Hindu temple, is located next to other. Should try the food, as mostly very cheap. The culture of the people reflected in their cuisine.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
84 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whats good to see?

I agree with PaperStoneScissors. Love Lane is adjacent to Chulia Street (unofficially a red light area). Be extra careful since you are alone. Be aware of possible snatch thieves wherever you walk.

You have chosen to stay in the heart of Georgetown. There are plenty to see, since Georgetown is now a UNESCO heritage site. Walk out of Love Lane, and you will see Convent Light Street secondary school ( est 1852, the oldest girls' school in SE Asia) and Saint Xavier's Institution along Light Street.

Explore Jalan Kapitan Keling (formerly Pitt Street) and you will see major historical places of worship. Explore the Little India area. Walk along Beach Street to view many banks housed in beautifully-restored colonial buildings.

For breakfast, I suggest you visit Jalan Kuala Kangsar, which is a popular morning market with locals. Penang is well-known for her street food. Explore!

You will be doing a lot of walking; bring good shoes / sandals.

6. Re: Whats good to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, December 20, 2014