We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our 4 days in Penang

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
947 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Our 4 days in Penang

Unlike my report on Chiang Mai, this one is very short due to my wifes arthritis flaring up and forcing us to cancel our tour with Morgan of the sights of Penang, but what we saw around our hotel and driving to and from the airport has made us want to come back soon and explore this lovely part of Malaysia.

We were able to explore some shopping due to our hotel the G hotel having a shopping mall on each side of it namely Guerney Plaza and Guerney Paragon, both are top market end malls but still had some good bargains, my wife picked up her usual couple of handbags plus some items from The Body Shop and Crabtree and Evelyn, I bought some very good quality T shirts for around $7aus each plus a Citizen watch on special for 520myr ($170aus) down from 750myr plus you received an extra citizen made watch for free as a promotion for the opening of the new Guerney Paragon mall, we also visited the Prangin Mall which I think is the biggest mall in Penang, if you want shoes then this is your type of mall, I reckon every 2nd shop was a ladies shoe shop, of course there had to be a Bata shop and of course my wife had to go in and of course she had to buy her 6th pair of shoes so far on this holiday and we still have 5 days in Kuala Lumpur to go, this is the mall where the locals go and you can barter with the vendors.

Food is very very cheap in Penang with meals in the food courts and markets on average $2-3aus, and restaurants $5-10aus, we had one meal in the food court at Guerney Plaza of stir fried chicken and rice $2aus, 1 fried rice 85cents aus, 1 chicken and rice on sizzle plate $3aus and 2 fruit drinks for $1aus all up $7.80aus, at the food market it was cheaper with Char Kway Teow for 5myr ($1.85aus).

So overall I recommend Penang to fellow T/As for very good and cheap food, excellent shopping at both high end and lower end of the market, taxis are not expensive ours cost 40myr from airport and it was a good 30-40mins drive, cost the same on return from taxi outside hotel, we were disappointed not to travel around and visit some of the old lovely buildings and sites in the area, I suggest you allow a good 4-5 days to really get the most out of this fascinating part of Malaysia and we will be coming back next year to do just that.

Well off to Kuala Lumpur now, you don't think all the shoe shops would be closed do you?

Happy Holidays

Penang, Pulau...
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

Kuala Lumpur has more shopping malls and they're much bigger and better, and arrived at the right time for shopping as it's Hari Raya/Eid al-Fitr, the Islamic new year, so there's lots of sales everywhere!!! Well, we got sales for like almost the whole year but you'll get the most discounts during all the new year seasons e.g New Year, Chinese New Year, Ramadan, Eid al-Fitr, Deepavali (Indian new year)... Btw, the biggest shopping mall in Penang is Queensbay mall (by total area) but I think Gurney Plaza has more shops... The biggest shopping mall in Malaysia is Sunway Pyramid in Kuala Lumpur, for branded accessories, Pavilion shopping mall at Bukit Bintang, Kuala Lumpur... There's also lots of Arabic restaurants at bukit Bintang, do you smoke shisha/water pipe/hookah?.... Just to give you a hint, if you want the best local food, don't eat in the shopping mall's food court, the food outside is cheaper and nicer. And, when you're at Kuala Lumpur, don't eat the Penang foods, it's not as nice as Penang's... I don't really know much about Kuala Lumpur, I'm from Penang and I seldom go to KL, all I can say is their food is more expensive but in a larger portion

Penang, Pulau...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

And my uncle who lives in Kuala Lumpur used to complain about Penang's drinks at the food stores especially those road side stores, that they always add sugar and water to the juices and they add a lot of ice too

Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

Food price is slightly higher but for your aussie dollar its not much different between 5cent to 10cents for hawker food. But would prefer to say no different!

The shoes shops is all open to receive your money :) Happy holidays

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

oooh yes I liked the shoes in KL so I am looking forward to shoes in Penang too.

A girl can't have too many hand bags either :)

I am looking forward to seeing Penang.

Thank you.

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

Great report, thank you. I must get to Guerney Plaza on my next trip. I only experienced the shoe shopping in Prangin and it was very poor compared to KL I think. What a shame you didn't get to explore more, but I am sure a return trip will see you doing all those things and more.

6. Re: Our 4 days in Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 13, 2014