We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You Must Try This!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
948 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
You Must Try This!!

Hi, my wife and I will be in penang in a couple of weeks time so I will ask you the same question I have just put on the Chiang Mai forum [we are flying in from Chiang Mai]

This will be our first trip to Penang and all I keep reading about is how great the food is.

So I would like you to tell me what your favourite meal is and why, you know that meal you just cant wait to get back to penang for, e.g snacks, mains, desserts, it all looks great so I need your recommendations, we are staying in the G hotel on Guerney drive.

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: You Must Try This!!

I always head to Longbeach on my first night in Penang, My choices are chicken satay sticks, spring rolls, grilled fish from Jimmy's stall in the far right corner and if I still have room, a pancake from the Pancake queen.

Gaja

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: You Must Try This!!

agree ... you MUST leave room in the tummy for pancakes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

another great place to visit is The Boatman in BF ....down in Georgetown .. Red Garden Hawkers

Have a great time in Penang

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
923 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: You Must Try This!!

Char Koay Teow , Hokkien Mee , Assam Laksa, Satay (the one that barbeque along with the sauce and not the typical satay), Popiah and Bah Kut Teh!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,680 posts
2,085 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: You Must Try This!!

Ive tried the Satay and Spring Rolls in Longbeach...delish. Also tried some Thai Fried Rice and washed it done with a long neck beer :)

Tommo

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: You Must Try This!!

G'day,

This I miss a lot-rojak pasembor from that rocking dancing guy at gurney drive.

I tell him "kasi basah" (add more gravy).

The same I tell the nasi kandar folks.

Then the ice kacang at Kek Seng kopitiam (Penang road).

And my favourite to go with my afternoon coffee-- Penang tau sar peah.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: You Must Try This!!

And just a thought-in Chiang Mai, bring pack some of the fried crackers(of pig skin-that is ever popular over there) and dip in Penang curry mee- wantonly delicious lor,and even to popiah to add that crackling taste .

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: You Must Try This!!

Now you have made me slurping for Penang food...almost done my packing ,now in Melbourne,back from Mt Baw Baw, tomorrow leaving for Perth.

I do know of one place in Perth..few blocks from Criterion Hotel for Penang food..but the last time I had-AUD15 for a bowl of assam laksa lor..heart break..haha..then same row with Aarons Hotel, few blocks from croissant express,also same row, a makchik from Malaysia, doing nasi lemak...not too bad, she comes from my hometown.

In Mel, tommo may know this..the shop along Swanston,suppose to be Penang local food..who they kidding.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
London, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: You Must Try This!!

So aussie010 - what are your Must Try recommendations now that you've been there? We're going to be there in a couple of weeks and are looking forward to trying Assam Laksa again - love Curry Laksa so want to try the difference. The other must haves for me will be Murtabak and Ayam Kapitan which I remember was great last time.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: You Must Try This!!

Sitting at Treetops Lodge in Miri reading this thread, and thinking of all the foods we have to try to fit in during our 5 nights in Penang later on in this trip (after Miri, Mulu, and Kuching)... And it was so nice to see someone mention Murtabak! Love the stuff, all the different variations (as we've had it in Java, Singapore, and Malaysia). They do a pretty tasty one at Long Beach - can take a little time to come out, but worth the wait.

Of course we want to visit Red Garden Hawkers and Long Beach (we're not fans of Gurney Drive at all, finding it to be overrated - had satays there once that were as much chunks of chicken fat and skin as actual chicken meat - yuck). The Char Kway Teow on Lorong Selamat calls - we've tried and enjoyed the one made by the famed lady with the red beret! A bit more pricey than elsewhere, but she does use good sized prawns (of which because Sabrina doesn't eat prawns, I get a double serve)...

We'll be fitting in at least one breakfast at a Nasi Kandar for some tasty Roti Canai or Roti Telur or Roti Telur Bawang. Sabrina will be having Roti Pisang at Long Beach (called Banana Pancakes by the Indian stall beside the pizza stall - the same stall that does the Murtabak). Breakfast will undoubtably include at some stage some tasty mee goreng with a bit of chilli & fresh squeezed lime.

Thanks to Patrick (Ung from Vision First), we'll have to try to fit in a visit to a tasty little Chinese restaurant on Jalan Sri Bahari (apologies, can't remember the name, it's on the opposite side of the road to The Ship Restaurant) for their divine Peking Duck and some whole steamed fish - melt in your mouth delicious!!!

I've tried the Assam Laksa before (Sabrina isn't in to fishy seafood) and think perhaps it's an acquired taste... Have just recently tried (for the first time) Nyonya Laksa in Melaka (had it yesterday and the day before to be precise) and much preferred the coconutty curry laksa! Of course while in Sarawak we'll also be supping on Laksa Sarawak and Kolok Mee - yum! But we're getting off track here ;-)

If you enjoy Thai food there is a great little Thai stall at the Red Garden Hawkers in George Town.

Mmmmmmm! Yum.

Lise & Sabrina

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
Gurney Drive
Gurney Drive
369 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Roti Canai
Roti Canai
21 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
948 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: You Must Try This!!

qc16, pardon my spelling but my favourite was char kwae teow, absolutely loved it, very tasty and cheap, $2aus from markets, also ate a lot at a restaurant alongside the G hotel called Chicago, great food(including Pork) and very well priced, We also ate in the foodcourt alongside the G had a variety of dishes from $2aus e.g.stir fried chicken on sizzle plate.

We have already booked our 2014 holiday to penang for August and again are staying at the G hotel, food and shopping right outside your door.

Cant wait

Edited: 6:25 am, September 08, 2013