We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

penang with a disability?

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
penang with a disability?

My wife and I will be in penang in august staying at the G hotel, we are both in our sixties and my wife has a disability, she has had both hips replaced, arthritis in both knees and walks with the aid of a walking stick but due to the arthritis has trouble walking long distances, we will be booking a car and driver for a day or two to take us to the need to see places in penang, but I was wondering about places close to our hotel, the street with all the hawker food stalls, is that close to our hotel? if we need to catch a taxi to somewhere close but too far for my wife to walk ,say 1-2 klms. will they take us and are there plenty available? or is there another suitable form of transport? we will be in chiang mai before arriving in penang and are going to try and get into a tuk tuk, do they have them in penang or something similar? looking forward to your replies, many thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,978 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: penang with a disability?

Hi

You don't find any tuk tuks in Penang, just taxis. But G hotel is not that far from Gurney Drive Hawkers centre (is that the place you are referring to)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: penang with a disability?

TravellingMitch,I think thats the street, apparently its one long street of food carts and cafes, I wasnt sure about tuk tuks in penang, I knew they werent in K/L, is it tri-shaws I saw in some videos?,thank you

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: penang with a disability?

G'day aussie.Just a heads up,the footpaths in Penang and not for walkig on.

You can ride your scooter or motor bike on the path,or even park on it,but

heaven forbid if it should be walked on.

Also,it would seem the paths have been designed and built by a drunk

with a warped and twisted sense of humour.

It is part of the make up that no path can be flat continuously.It must be

incomplete,come to a dead stop,have stepshave drops that you could lose a truck in

and god help anyone in a wheelchair or using a walking frame..

I have found the obstacle courses at Canungra Land Warfare Centre easier to

negotiate than a Penang footpath.

Apart from that,enjoy your stay in Penang.

Happy trails

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
908 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: penang with a disability?

Hi

Penang does not have tuk tuks but it goes one better with the trishaw

Catch a taxi to the Georgetown area and hire a trishaw driver. They will fit the two of you into the trishaw. The rate is generally around 40 ringgit (A$13) per hour. Suggest you bargain as best you can and take one for say three hours.

Have the driver head for Armenian Street and there are hours of fun and interest to be had in the Kong Si's (clan houses) the Sun Yat Sen museum (the father of modern China) the Islamic museum the Aceh street mosque (one of my favourites). All should be easy walking for your wife.

If you start early end up for lunch at noon at the duck seller on the corner of Canarvon and Jln Chong Fatt Tse. (one of the two best roast duck haunts in Penang where for around A$4 per head you have a feast of freshly roasted duck and if you wish pork.)

Feel free to PM me and I can send you a self tour suggestion that I give to friends who visit Penang. Yes the footpaths are a misnomer but you will always find a kind welcome in Penang.

cheers

Melbourne
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: penang with a disability?

Hi there,

We traveled to both Penang and Chiang Mai with my son who uses a wheelchair.

We would use the local buses in Penang easily and tuk tuks or the red songsthew in Chiang Mai are readily available anywhere and everywhere!

Yes the footpaths are uneven and used as parking spots for motor bikes but its doable and both are fantastic places!

Cheers Bron

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: penang with a disability?

foxhound363, so the streets are like bangkok? we were there 2 yrs ago and had a lot of trouble getting around and had to use taxis to get anywhere. so I think we will be doing the same here, we have similar problems in parts of K/L, but we still go there each year, many thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: penang with a disability?

El Dorado Traveller, we will definitely try a trishaw, I have just googled up some info. on them and they look great, will pm you when we get closer to departure re your kind offer, thank you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: penang with a disability?

Twokids wheelchair, before arriving in penang we will be staying 5 nights in chiang mai, I have just read your JBR, on your holiday in nth.thailand, such a great report and a great insight into the culture of the thai people and their respect for people with a disability, if only the same could be said of our fellow aussies, thank you

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: penang with a disability?

G'day aussie,no way are the streets like Bangkok,but the motorists

are just as inconsiderate..

As for the fooypaths,I was taking a light hearted swing,but what I

posted was correct.

As was pointed out earlier, to avoid this, I would recommend

a trishaw.It's a slow and unhurried way to get around.

Happy trails

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: penang with a disability?

foxhound363, I understand, I also was only using bangkok as a rough comparison and yes we will be trying out the trishaws, I just hope the wife can get into one, many thanks.