We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traders Club Room Booked

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Traders Club Room Booked

Hi Guys,

HAve booked the Traders Club Room for 2012 Xmas after looking at reviews and many peoples opinion on T/A. However, little bit concerned about some reviews that have suddenly shown up with the last 5 that have been posted advising of issues, especially with being non-smokers but getting smoking rooms.

As a non-smoker (sorry smokers ;) but I cannot stand a room that is a smoking room so I am a little worried that if this does its the busiest time and room availability may mean being stuck with a Smoking room...........so my question is have most people had what they asked for i.e non-smoking and was the Club room chaotic with kids running around/crowded?

Thanks for any of your opinions i appreciate it :D

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,778 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Jacks,

We stayed at Traders last month in a club room. Had no problems re smoke in non-smoking room or kids running amok in club lounge. Nor has it been a problem on our previous stays..

Gaja

Gujarat, India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

We did have this problem with our last stay at Traders with the non-smoking room smelling of smoke. We also found a lot of the time people just ignored this anyway and had smoke smelling corridors on non-smoking floors (not just related to Traders, but also in KL and cigarette burns in quilts at the Mandarin Oriental in KL in non-smoking rooms).

As far as the lounge went although there was children there on the whole they were ok, but it was jammed packed with some families having a feeding frenzy and other guests not left with much to eat. But to be honest the food/drink choice is more quantity over quality.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Thanks guys for your replies :D - I am more concerned with the room than the food. We normally stay at the renaissance KL and never had to worry bout this but once we had a free night at another hotel which even though non- smoking rooms u were allowed to smoke at the lift area - which sort of defeated the purpose of a non- smoking room- really did not like that hotel. So are there any other hotels in the Georgetown area that offer similar club lounge but is a non- smoking hotel??? I am leaning towards keeping my booking as before those 5 reviews it seemed to have great reviews :D indecision ;p but thanku for ur answers

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

One itsy bitsy little bit of info you may find useful:

It is planned that from October 2012 that Traders Penang will be undergoing major renovations. The process of renovation will mean 5 floors then 4 floors and the final 4 floors.

The first 5 floors to be renovated will include the club floors. It is planned that they will be completed by late January 2013.

The club lounge will move down to the Datai Room.

The hotel managers have agreed to keep me informed of the plans and when things will actually happen - I wil post this info on this forum.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Thankyou for that Esorlegin - do you think we should stay with our booking though if the club room floors are not going to be finished till Jan 2013 considering we will be there Xmas 2012 for a week :)

We are used to the Renaissance Club Room in KL - I don't expect it to be at the same standards but want to make sure we have a comfortable stay and a nice hotel to come back too as I really like the location of this hotel :D

And that is great info you have provided :D

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Jacks24 - don't know what to say. Suggest you e-mail the hotel and ask what will be provided if the renovations go ahead as planned.

We are waiting to see how things 'pan out' before we book for Christmas 2012.

Rooms on the lower floors are a bit smaller - think by 4sq meters - but check the web site to be sure.

Remember, if they are renovating, this is a concrete building and sound travels !!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Yeh I am not too keen on the noise factor of it all...thankyou though for advising of whats happening. I am leaning more towards G Hotel, which I would of preferred the Traders area but seems to have more of the type of room we want.......only issue I am having with them is that I cannot actually book online and they want me to fax my credit card details, not sure if i am keen on that so we will see :D

Thankyou again though for all your responses appreciated

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

don't fax u'r credit card details - if they have a dodgy staff member, you could be in trouble. Try to book with on online agency like Agoda, Asiarooms , Alphrooms etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

hi jacks,

we have a booking at g-hotel for next month.we booked through worldwideholidays.com.au and had no issues.contacted g-hotel recently to confirm booking and all good.this is the site we found the best deal as got breakfast included for same price as other sites was for room only.

might be worth checking out- cheers

Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traders Club Room Booked

Exactly what I was thinking Esorlegin, I don't even allow my cc out of my site in Aust let alone faxing it off ;D

Agoda is no good for my booking as it doesn't allow the 3rd person to be booked (weirdly as it is a 3 max person room) so thankyou Alpha for your suggestion and will have a look at that one. Bet your excited only a month away for you and i hope you get ur upgrades :)