We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Penang Sim Card

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new delhi, india
Level Contributor
252 posts
Save Topic
Question about Penang Sim Card

We are on a two weeks trip to Penang and KL.

If we buy a pre-paid Sim Card in Penang will it work in Kuala Lumpur too or do we have to buy a new sim cards in KL?

What is the recommended sim card for Penang and KL?

We would need three sim cards for three of us, 2 for just making local calls and one for internet access.

So please let me know how much do i have to pay for a data plan? I just need basic browsing and not lots of data.

Also, will the same data plan work when in KL?

Edited: 3:45 am, July 17, 2011
Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

Hi, what was wrong with the umobile?

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

Hi, what was wrong with the umobile?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

Random question, but I'll be heading to Penang and Georgetown for 4D3N, just wondering if there is a single prepaid card recommended I can get for calls, text and mobile internet use on an iPhone?

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

Hi kareena_blonde,

Looks like you've got your data option sorted :-)

In terms of calls, have you considered picking up a TuneTalk SIM while at LCC Terminal (you can get these from the AirAsia shop just outside McDonalds).

We used to use Digi, Maxis, Celcom, but now use TuneTalk as it has the best rates for both calling Australia and international SMS rates.

http://www.tunetalk.com/rates/international

According to the TuneTalk website calls to India would cost RM0.14 per minute (cheaper than the 10 sen per 30 seconds by Digi). International SMS are charged at RM0.20 per message, and local SMS RM0.05 per message.

You can top-up at 7-11 stores if you need additional credit. You can buy credit in as little as RM10 increments.

Just another option to add to the mix :-)

Lise & Sabrina

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

I use Celcom and HotLink. Hotlink is cheaper when it comes to international calls. Celcom sim card will cost MYR80 for 50 call credits and unlimited data then you can top up at any convenient store around town.

16. Re: Question about Penang Sim Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013