We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Australia
4 posts
Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Hi

We will be staying in Penang for 2 nights 1 day only - what is a recommended 4 star hotel (4 star) in Penang?

We are looking to stay in Georgetown so we are thinking of the Sheraton Penang but we see it has mixed reviews. Where would you recommend to stay in Georgetown?

We prefer 4 star since only short stay.

Any urgent help would be much appreciated!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

we stayed at the sheraton penang in dec 04. it is a hotel that caters to business travellers ie. pool small, location not so good. would not advise staying there. go for the location of the bayview or the cititel.

use this wotif link to check out the hotels and locations and even to book your hotel. we've used wotif and had no problems with the bookings.

www.wotif.com/Search.jsp…

the shopping is good in penang. check out prangin mall which is next to komtar in georgetown.

ask if any other info needed

Australia
4 posts
2. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Thanks JuneTL for your post. We appreciate your advice. We are flying out early next week so we dont have much time left.

We are just tourists so we would appreciate better facilities if possible.

When you say location is not that good - can you explain what you mean?

Is it because it is far from Georgetown central?

Can anyone else please recommend a 4 star hotel in Georgetown?

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

we felt that the hotel was not sheraton quality...more of a 3 star quality. you can walk to the city centre but this could take about 25 minutes and it is humid in penang so this might not be too comfortable for walking.

check out this site for penang tourism info. http://www.tourismpenang.gov.my how about the eastern and oriental hotel which is akin to the raffles in singapore? perhaps you could get a good deal there?

Australia
4 posts
4. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Thanks very much for the info. We are actually only going to be in Penang for ONE FULL DAY only.

Arriving at 10pm - then spend the next day in Penang, and leaving 8am the next morning!!

We are thinking of booking the 9am half day tour Hill and Temple Tour - and then coming back to Georgetown to spend the rest of the day and night before we fly out early next morning.

What do you think of this arrangement? We have already made a tentative booking at Sheraton prior to my post - but if we cannot get back to hotel very easily if we spend night in Georgetown, we will definitely change.

The eastern and oriental hotel does not have any specials so we wont be going there.

Thanks for passing on any thoughts - it is much appreciated

Australia
4 posts
5. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Thanks very much for the info. We are actually only going to be in Penang for ONE FULL DAY only.

Arriving at 10pm - then spend the next day in Penang, and leaving 8am the next morning!!

We are thinking of booking the 9am half day tour Hill and Temple Tour - and then coming back to Georgetown to spend the rest of the day and night before we fly out early next morning.

What do you think of this arrangement? We have already made a tentative booking at Sheraton prior to my post - but if we cannot get back to hotel very easily if we spend night in Georgetown, we will definitely change.

The eastern and oriental hotel does not have any specials so we wont be going there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
Level Contributor
4,527 posts
78 reviews
6. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

the sheraton is on the edge of georgetown itself so getting back to it is not a problem. after all penang is a small island. if you have already made a tentative booking, and you are there for only two nights sleep, i'd leave your booking as it is. just do not expect full sheraton quality. i'd be interested in your opinion of the hotel..perhaps you can call up this link and post your review of the hotel when you get back.

doing a tour in the morning is a good ida as the shops there trade from 11 am to 10 pm. you will not loose much shopping time!

things to see there....

the penang hill is an amazing engineering feat with its cable car. it does mean alot of waiting around and with your one day stay this might not be a good idea.

the penang museum is worth a visit for RM$1

the cheong fatt tze mansion is also interesting

the khoo kongsi is not worth the RM$5 visit

the batu ferringhi night markets are definitely worth the bus ride (RM$1.80/one way). do bargain for your watches, t-shirts etc.

prangin mall in georgetown has many shops

happy travels.

june

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

I really can recommend the Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion www.cheongfatttzemansion.com if you look for something really special.

I'm not sure how many stars it would be as it is not really a hotel but I personally would give them about 3. They also only offer breakfast.

It's the most special "hotel" I ever stayed in and I can really recommend it from own experience.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
104 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

A Georgetown-experience isn't complete unless you're staying at the Eastern&Oriental Hotel. Conveniently nearby the city-centre in a unique historical setting! You will not be sorry!

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
173 reviews
9. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

TIO MAN, thanks for that, we have booked for the E&O in june and am looking forward to it

dave

UK
Level Contributor
443 posts
42 reviews
10. Re: Hotel in Georgetown Penang - is Sheraton Penang...

Has to be the E&O! The most amazing hotel experience of our lives. What a wonderful atmosphere - amazing service, but not stuffy. Such history.

People pay a small fortune to stay at Raffles. This place is just as special, without the 'touristy-ness', and at the price of a family chain hotel in the UK.