We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

betu ferringhi or georgetown

Which George Town hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
victoria australia
5 posts
Save Topic
betu ferringhi or georgetown

first time in penang and want to know where the best place to stay is betu ferringhi or georgetown i would be looking for good night life and entertainment

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,762 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

HI

I would say Georgetown for good night life and entertainment, and a large choice of bars and eateries etc, and sightseeing during the day.

Batu Ferringhi has the night market, some eateries and a couple of bars, and is very quiet during the day. But does have the beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Georgetown - some signs of economic downturn (hotel closures along the beach). Beach is pleasant enough - no surfing. Could be relaxing - depends on how beach conscious you are. A bit isolated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Sorry - just read that back my anser isn't that clear. Georgetown is the better option INMHO.

London/Surrey
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Personally, I prefer Batu for the beautiful beach, but it depends what you are after. There is a big night market (every night) and there are also plenty of bars and restaurants and "supermarket" shops for general supplies, but not much else (which suits us fine!).

Georgetown has swanky hotels, shopping malls, lots and lots of famous name shops, nightlife, china town, little india etc, but is, as the name suggests, a town.

Both have their fare share of hawker food stands too, which is good to try the local cuisine at minimal cost.

If you can, I would really recommend splitting your stay between the two -- packing everything in to the first part in Georgetown (shopping and partying) and then totally chilling in Batu for the rest -- it's such much prettier and you can always get a cab into town for about 20MR.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Depends on your budget.

Georgetown - E&O, Traders, Cititel, City Bayview

B Ferringhi - Rasa Sayang, Park Royal, Holiday Inn, Bayview Resort.

Hard Rock hotel is scheduled for opening in mid 2009.

victoria australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

thanks for the info it has helped heaps is there anything that you recomened as a must whilst in penang

victoria australia
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

cheers thanks for the feed back what would you recomened as a must in georgetown

victoria australia
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

cheers for that. is there a must do in betu ferringhi

Cumbria
Level Contributor
34 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Depends what you like - Batu is a beach resort, with great restaurants and hotels. Excellent 'hawker' centre - probably more touristy than most - but still cheap and fun. Great night market, but probably not really any night life or entertainment. Georgetown is easily accessible by bus (and some hotels do a shuttle bus), so you can have the best of both worlds. Georgetown is a small, fairly busy town, and is very interesting. There are some hotels that are half-way between the two, so that might be a compromise (sorry - can't remember the names though).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
233 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: betu ferringhi or georgetown

Hi rudder02 - we just returned from Batu Ferringhi and had the same question, as we too enjoy nightlife (meaning having a drink and live music). I'm posting a trip report after this entry, but we were very happy with Batu Ferringhi and found live music (albeit of varying quality) every night. I especially recommend The Eclectic, which had a good band and very nice food and atmosphere. Most of the hotels have cover bands and there is no lack of places to get a drink. Malaysia is pretty conservative, though, so don't expect somewhere like Phuket.