We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Georgetown questions

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Georgetown questions

Hi,

I would soon be in Georgetown, Penang and I have a few questions that I hope people can help me with.

What would be the best way to get from the airport to my hotel Bayview Georgetown If its by taxi, what kind of price would I be looking to pay?

What is the easiest way to get about in the city? Is it small enough to get around by foot and therefore I can avoid using taxis? I'll only be staying around Georgetown.

If I need to use taxis, I understand that most if not all don't use meters. I assume I would need to agree on a price first before getting into one but

how would I work out how much to pay or can I insist on the meter being used?

Is Penang better than Kuala Lumpur to buy electrical goods and would it be cheaper than Hong Kong? If so, what store chain should I shop at?

Thanks for any advice.

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Georgetown questions

Thanks for the link, esorlegin, its very helpful.

maggieomx, sounds like a good route you'll be taking when you're in Malaysia and you must like this part of the world if you're going back again. (I'm from the SW) :-)

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Georgetown questions

Something I forgot to ask. When I leave my hotel, should I get the hotel to get me a taxi to the airport or should I try to find one in the street? I understand that I should get a fixed price coupon from the airport to the hotel but from the hotel to the airport, its going to be different.

Sorry for asking a simple question like this but as the taxis won't use a meter, I don't want to be stuck trying to find one that won't try to rip me off as they would know that I need to get to the airport (on time). I know I sound a bit cynical about the taxis but I've been ripped off in the past and it spoilt my holiday.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Georgetown questions

Right in front of the Citybayview is a Taxi Center, so you can negotiate directly with the taxi driver (about RM30?)

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Georgetown questions

rm35 is now the 'fixed' price - unless you get lucky.

UK
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Georgetown questions

Thanks for that, I'll make sure that I'll get charged rm35.

16. Re: Georgetown questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about George Town