We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
197 reviews
Which hotel

Hi looking for some hotel advice please.

My wife and I are going to spend a couple of weeks in Georgetown in January and would like some advice on which hotel to stay in.

Our choice at present are between E&O, G hotel Gurney or the other G hotel.

We would be staying a club room, after emailing all hotels this kind off omits the E&O as their offering in the club lounge appear to be poor.

Obviously location is important as we want to be close to the most vibrant part of the city for restaurants and bars and we also enjoy the occasional massage.

If anyone has enjoyed a stay at any of these hotels or would recommend another hotel with a nice club lounge and location any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stuart

21 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Which hotel

When in January? If you’re coming with a view to seeing Thaipusam then you may prefer to be in George Town. That would be the best area for restaurants etc.

The gHotel on Gurney Drive and the gHotel Kelawai are in the Pulau Tikus area, not George Town itself. They’re both next to the Gurney Plaza and Paragon malls and you’ll find a fair amount of food outlets. However at the moment all along the front of Gurney Drive is being built Gurney Wharf. It’s somewhat noisy and messy and if you’re thinking of staying there for a few weeks you may get fed up with being opposite a sea front building site.

If a club lounge is really that important to you then you may be stuck. However don’t rule out the E&O as it may be better than you think. I know people who stay there every year and so far they’ve not complained about the club facilities or drinks and snacks.

There are some real gems of hotels in George Town but not ones that offer free drinks and nibbles in the evenings. Hotel Jen might be a possibility, but it’s been downgraded to the Shangri-La group’s bottom tier of hotels so may not provide what you’re looking for.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
209 reviews
2. Re: Which hotel

You might want to look at the Edison https://www.theedisonhotels.com/index.html as they have free wine for guests in the evening.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
197 reviews
3. Re: Which hotel

Hi Thanks for your help.

Maybe it would be adviseable to forget the club lounge.

The only reason I mentioned the E&O was that their cocktail hour is only from 5pm to 6pm which is rather awkward timings for my wife and I.

You say there are some real gems, which ones would you recommend.

Once again thanks for your help.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Which hotel

Have a look at 7 Terraces in Georgetown. It doesn't have club facilities but it's a beautiful Heritage Boutique hotel with the bonus of being in a good location. Stayed for the first time back in March and returning next February.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
209 reviews
5. Re: Which hotel

Have a look at some of these

penangfoodie.com/best-heritage-hotel-to-stay…

penangfoodie.com/top-10-new-hotels-in-penang/

penangfoodie.com/beach-hotels-in-penang/

penangfoodie.com/boutique-hotels-george-town…

Edited: 4:56 am, October 22, 2018
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: Which hotel

PSS thank you for posting those links. I've just had a quick look at them and they provide lots of ideas for our next trip. Just what we needed.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,968 posts
157 reviews
7. Re: Which hotel

If your budget can run to it, look into Seven Terraces & The Edison as suggested.

Both will give you a more authentic trip than the more modern offerings you list.

I think the boutique sector might top the E&O too.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
186 reviews
8. Re: Which hotel

Very interesting thread. I wanted to have a pool so I'm hesitating between the Edison and the 7 Terrasses. Which one would you pick? Slightly leaning towards Edison. 7T looks stunning but I'm wondering if some of it isn't look vs usability as it's quite old.

Also: I rejected the big hotels but how far are they from George town? We are looking for a very relaxing holiday so they might still be an option if not too far away. Thanks!

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,193 posts
209 reviews
9. Re: Which hotel

Seven Terraces was converted from a row of 7 Penang shop houses by Chris Ong who has been responsible for many of the boutique hotels in George Town. It looks old because it is! However it has won many awards and is regularly featured in travel magazines such as Conde Nast. It’s in a good location and has the Kebaya restaurant in it.

The Edison is another converted hotel but only completed within the last two years. Its name comes from the fact that the owner, Edi, converted it with his son. It has become very popular and is frequently booked up. In the evening they have a free wine hour and fresh drinks are available from the rear area all day.

If you’d like to mention which other hotels you’ve been looking at I can comment on their location.

england
Level Contributor
772 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: Which hotel

What do you think of the location of Le Dream boutique PPS? is it in a busy little street? Thanks.

Reply to: Which hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted