We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Malaysia

South Africa
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
first time to Malaysia

Hi. Never been to Malaysia so very ignorant and havent done much research at this point, so pls help. I assume KL and Pinang are must -see visits. Not looking for a beach holiday more sight seeing. And where is the much talked about Pattaya Beach??? Also how many days do u recommend be spent at these locations with a view of just seeing main attractions. Thanks in advance.

1. Re: first time to Malaysia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:48 am, January 14, 2007
Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to Malaysia

Hi Maharaj,

Welcome to Malaysia! KL and Penang are two largest cities in Malaysia. There are plenty of shopping, food and sightseeing to do.

You can spend 3 days in each cities minimum. Please let us know what kind of accommodation you prefer (budget versus location and service).

Pattaya Beach is in Thailand! Are you supposed to go to Thailand actually? :-P

The beach is notorious for its "wow" nightlife with endless bars and clubs. It can also be very touristy and seedy with sights of retired old men holding hands with underaged girls / boys very common.

If you are after night life, Thailand is probably a better choice as alcohol is half the price here and there are so many of them they put Amsterdam to shame.

While Malaysia is generally a safe country, just try to carry passport (money belt) or photocopy of passport with hotel receipt with your name in case you are lost or have any problem with police.

South Africa
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to Malaysia

Thanks guys. Affirming my ignorance was the question on Pattaya and no Thailand wasnt in the travel plans. Thanks for replies.

And whats the best way to travel from KL to pinang?

4. Re: first time to Malaysia

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:48 am, January 14, 2007
Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to Malaysia

KL and Penang - Makes for a great two centre holiday. Lots to see in both places and they are very different cities. KL being very modern and Penang still retains much of the old colonial feel.

The food in Penang is the best in Malaysia (my opinion), don't miss the food court area along Gurney Drive. Its brilliant !

Best to travel up on the bus, it does not really save much time flying.

The bus will take you straight into Georgetown.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to Malaysia

Hi Maharaj,

The most luxury bus from KL to Penang is the NiCE coach(RM58 one way). There are tons of economy class coaches otherwise:

plusliner.com/schedule/Nice2_Schedule2.asp

http://www.journeymalaysia.com/ptapenang.htm

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to Malaysia

Hi, we did KL/Penang in December and had a wonderful time!

We took the 'Nice 2' coach between Penang and KL and it was great. About 4.5 hours each way.

Penang has the best sightseeing and food--see my Penang list at:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9026-While_in_…

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to Malaysia

Air Asia is a Malaysia based budget airline which has very cheap flights from KL to Penang, and lots of other Malaysian cities - I must admit I always fly rather than taking the bus!

I would spend 4-5 days in Penang to see the main sites, but the main thing you have to do is EAT, and particularly eat in the local coffee shops and hawker stalls, as these really are where you find the best food.

9. Re: first time to Malaysia

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 9:19 am, August 26, 2009