We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transport

Hi,

Travelling to Penang and KL with my wife and our 18 month old son. In OZ by law you must have a properly fitted child car seat if travelling with a child in any vehicle. What are the laws in Malaysia? Do we need to bring a car seat? Do taxis have seat belts? Those that have travelled with young children what have you done/used when travelling in a vehicle?

Thanks

Pino

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport

Hi, about 85% of the taxis that we rode in (we were in KL and Penang) did NOT have seat belts in the back. Well, they had seat belts but not the thingys that you plug them into!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport

Hi Marilynn,

Whilst in Penang did you hire a car plus drive at anytime during your stay? If so how did you find them and what did they charge?

Thanks

Pino

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
83 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport

No, it was just me and my husband (no kids); we took taxis the whole time. They just don't seem very safe. If I did have kids, I probably wouldn't take them on those taxis.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport

Hi Pino, presently it is only mandatory by law for driver and front passenger to fasten seat belts.

It is a hit and go, in relation to taxi having rear seat belts, as since it is not mandatory by law, some taxi do not have rear seat belts.

Bringing a car seat for toddler will only add extra baggage weight on you-if practical, get one of those "sack" where toddler is in it and hugs to you.

Even in Malaysia, those child seat are not mandatory by law, but many parents invest in one and have it as a fixture. Our automotive club-AAM, also rents out this car seats. However am not sure they rent out for visitors.

UK
Level Contributor
396 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport

Hi again.

As others have said, regular taxis rarely have seatbelts in the back. Safety awareness just isn't the same there. I lost count of the times we saw father/ mother and tiny child all piled on to one motorbike/scooter seat!

We are very safety conscious at home, but had to accept that we would have to make compromises or just not go anywhere.

As regards the car and driver trips, I think your best bet is to approach your hotel, either before you go, or as soon as you arrive. We did that. They know the drivers they use, and can recommend someone who is reliable and suits your nature. We were even offered the choice of a very chatty driver or a quieter one - which would we prefer?! (Although we're a quier family,we opted for chatty - and were very glad we did!)

Seriously though, you can ask the hotel to ensure that they use a driver who has rear seatbelts and/or a child seat. You may pay a little more (maybe MYR40 rather than 30) but you will probably get what is grandly called a limousine - a larger white saloon car-, and guaranteed aircon.

6. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 22, 2009