We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
132 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

We are keen to do the "Explore Balik Pulau" rural bike tour while we are in Penang. We are staying 3 nights in Batu Ferringi and 5 nights in Georgetown. Can't work out the driving time to Balik Pulau from these places so wonder if anyone could help - is it quicker and/or easier to get to from BF or GT? The company can do a hotel pick-up/drop-off, but we are also looking at whether to incorporate this into part of a full day out, but I don't necessarily want to hire a driver for a whole day if they are not needed for the 3 hours of the tour.... Any advice would be appreciated on the best use of our time & taxi/driver time. Also what other sights out that way would make for a good day trip rather than just going out there to do the bike tour?

The other option would be to do this trip on the day we transfer from BF to GT - so hire a driver for the day - go do the tour in Balik Pulau then have driver take us to some other sights on the way to check-in at GT??

Thanks

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

Hi there,

Generally a trip from BF to Balik Pulau will take you about 45 mins, perhaps quicker if you are on a scooter, but it would be dependant on the time of day you are travelling. I'm not sure the driving time from GT. There are plenty of things to see and do along the way if you want to make a day of it. We did it from BF with a tour driver and 8 of us. This time if I did it again, I would go with a reputable taxi driver/who does tours also and be a bit more specific about what we wanted to see.

I think that either option you would enjoy, i.e having a driver taking you to B.P for your tour, or making it a day trip from B.F to Georgetown. If you are going to do a day trip, some of the sights that you can stop off along the way include tropical spice garden, butterfly garden, titi Kerawang waterfall, batik factory, toy museum, durian farm, and then on the way back to GT you can see Kek Lok Si and Coffee and Tea house. I would suggest doing this kind of thing during the week as you will find the traffic very busy on the weekend.

There is a nice picturesque resturant in B.P called Anjung Indah Thai Seafood Resturant. It has stunning views of Penang all the way to the beach, very beautiful.

I can recommend Mr Raja Alright +60194211916, he is an older indian gentleman with a clean, smoke free car, insured to do tours and the likewise and one off drops offs as well. Mr Raja is also affiliated with...

Mr Morgan +60174031294

umogan@gmail .com.

If you have a large group then I would also advise Ocean Jupiter.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Angela

Edited: 2:44 am, March 20, 2014
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

Thanks for the info Angela,

We had thought we would take a bus to see the Spice Garden one day from BF as I would like to have lunch at the Monkey Tree Restaurant while there. Could you tell me abit about the titi Kerawang waterfall & what is the Coffee & Tea house (is this close to Kek Lok Si)?

We did want to hire a driver for a day to see more of the sights around the island, so maybe it will be better to do this as a whole day between BF and GT and just do the Balik Pulau bike trip as a seperate trip and get the bike people to pick us up and drop us back to our hotel...

The restaurant in BP sounds great - maybe we will go here for an early lunch after our ride - would a driver know this or would you have the address?

Just trying to fit everything in the best way possible. Of course I am already thinking we will have to come back to Penang again!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

Hi ozkiwis,

sorry last night was late and I was a bit tired in my post! I meant to say the Chocolate Boutique 22 Leith St GT or Cocoa Boutique Penang

20-D, Jalan Bagan Jernal,

10250 Penang, Malaysia. , not coffee and tea house! Have a look at this link:

http://cocoaboutique.com.my/introduction.html

I am sure that Mr Raja would know of the BP Anjung Indah Resturant. If you are on Facebook just type in :

Anjung Indah Thai Seafood Restaurant or have a look at this link:

…blogspot.com.au/2011/08/dinner-at-bp-anjung…

The place is located at this address : DKT LOT 239 Permandangan Indah, Jalan Tun Sardon, MK6 Balik Pulau, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. Telephone : 604-6416666. Ample parking space at the bottom and top. Do go there early so you can catch the sun set.

Titi Kerawang waterfall is just a small pretty waterfall to get out really and have a stretch on your way to balik pulau. We just took 20-30 mins to stroll through and back to the car. A lot of locals swim in the water but from last reports it was a bit dirty with rubbish left there. Still pretty and cool in the heat. Look at this link:

www.waterfallsofmalaysia.com/33kerawang.php

Hope that is helpful for you anyway.

cheers

Angela

Edited: 11:32 am, March 21, 2014
Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
132 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

Thanks for the additional info Angela - yes very helpful I appreciate it.

5. Re: To Balik Pulau from GT or BF?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 26, 2015