We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang accomodation help needed

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Penang accomodation help needed

Hello,

We are aiming to arrive in Penang on 11th Feb 2013 and are really struggling to find a hotel/apartment room for £10 - £15 per night in beach resort areas. Compared to Koh Samui, where we are now, accomodation seems far more expensive in Penang and you don't seem to get as much for your money. Does anyone with local knowledge know of any hotels or a website with suggestions? We've tried agoda, asiarooms and booking.com but cannot find anything of decent standard for less than £30 per night.

Thanks

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
115 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

Dear jetsetters11

There is no doubt in my mind that Penang is pricier than Koh Samui! However, if you not squeamish and are willing to drop your expectations and get creative, there is an option within your stipulated price range, the Teluk Bahang Sportfishing Chalet. Here are three links about the place:

my-island-penang.com/Chalet-Sportfishing.html

penangtalk.com/jots/…index.html

yellowpages.com.my/company/…pg.html

The Chalet is in walking distance to the trail head for Monkey Beach and Turtle Beach, and a Rapid Penang Bus 102 goes between the Airport and Teluk Bahang.

While I have not stayed there myself, I have driven past it twice, and have enjoyed Turtle Beach. At Teluk Bahang, you are minutes from the throng of Batu Ferringhi.

If you insist on a hotel or apartment worth your money at that price, I can save you the trouble now and suggest you stay in Thailand :)

Edited: 11:02 am, February 04, 2013
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

Hi

You really will struggle to find anything decent for the money! This is Malaysia, Thailand [and even expensive Samui] is much cheaper!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

Hi

keep in mind too that it is chinese new year and penang will be busy and more expensive at this time due to that so you will pay more.

You may need to try vacation rentals or homestays, but not sure if you will find anything in your price range.

Angela

Paris, France
Level Contributor
750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

Hi if you look in other accom on trip advisor these are in your price range:

Annie's Homestay

Baba Guesthouse

ET Budget Guesthouse

New Hope Inn

they are all near the beach, however I can't comment on these personally as I have not stayed there. You will need to read reviews and pics to get more of an idea, but that might help.

Regards

Angela

Edited: 8:17 pm, February 04, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

Thank you all for your suggestions. We will continue our search and update the post if we find anything that falls in this price range...fingers crossed

6. Re: Penang accomodation help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 07, 2014