We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kite Surfing in Penang?

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Kite Surfing in Penang?

Hi TA's

Well having thought I was all organised to start booking flights and accommodation for Penang in January 2013, hubby goes and throws a spanner in the works and announces, "I hope where ever you are booking that I am able to Kite Surf!". So I need the help of some local experts or Kite Surfers please. We WERE planning on staying in BF, possibly at the Sri Sayang. Can anybody tell me if Kite Surfing is available here? If not in BF,where?? I am happy to change my area of travel to elsewhere in Malaysia, (put it this way,I can lounge beside any pool and drink cocktails anywhere) just to keep him happy. Thank you :)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

sorry in all my 20 years of visiting Penang ..Kite Surfing ...no..paraflying ..yes

but would not recoomend it

Also if you have not booked ..take a look at the Rainbow Paradise Beach Resort......far better than the Sri Sayang..especially if you enjoy relaxing round the pool..my bathtub is bigger than the pool at the Sri Sayang

The Rainbow offers very large one bedroom suites with two balconies and great ocean views

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

Hi there Gabriella W,

There are individuals who kite surf in Penang, usually in Tanjung Bungah (close to the Chinese Swimming Club) and Batu Ferringhi. If you are bringing your own gear then definately go ahead as watersports facilities in Penang do not rent out kite surfing gear. I've been thinking about introducing kite surfing in Penang but main issue here is the wind.

Wind isn't suitable as it's not constant.

Daily average wind speed, you get between 10-12 knots..

Gusty winds can go between 15 - 20 knots..but that is very rare

Ocassionaly, during storms you get 25 knots and above..(this is when people start freaking out and you see crazy windsurfers have fun in the sea)

Usually, January is a good time of the year for wind-sail powered activities...we get a lot of sailors who rent out our catamarans. I might be able to help you rent out some kite surfing gears while in Penang.

But honestly, Balok Beach in Kuantan, Pahang would be an ideal place to kite surf. Wind is constant there :) I know a guy who runs a kite surfing school there I could pass you his contact....but then again..Dec-Jan is the monsoon season for the East Coast of Malaysia (Pahang is located there). Very wet season

PM me. Would definately love to help out :)

Mentioned in this post
Pahang
Pahang
Malaysia
Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
923 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

Never noticed that there's actually Penangite kite surfing here. Does they need special license to play this sports?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

not so much as to play this sport ..but to operate to tourist ..yes

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

You may be able to do some wind surfing here but I have never seen kite surfers. The wind surfers are mostly privately owned but if you ask at the water sports operators they might be able to help. There was an operator in Tanjung Bungah who used to rent them but he has closed up shop.

Remember that Penang is located in the Straits of Malacca and there is no surf.

The water is more often than not mill pond flat other than when the iwnd whips up and ypu get a few white caps. If that happens beware of the tropical downpour and sudden changes in the wind.

You may have better luck on the East Coast but watch out for the monsoon period when many resorts are shut.

Good luck

Edited: 6:02 am, October 11, 2012
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

You don't need a license to learn kite surfing. There are schools that offer instructorship courses and other recreational courses.

Any legit watersports operator will only employ instructors with valid kite surfing instructorship qualifications (for example: VDWS or IKO)...as public liability insurance requires this, to teach. Legit operators not the beach boys, mind you.

You don't need swells or surf to do kite surfing, mostly wind and with wind..you get the occassional white caps :)

So be it..kite surfing or kite boarding...it's hella fun!

As for licenses to operate, this comes under the jurisdiction of the MPPP and as far as I know, the watersports industry is still very new, so locally...there are no licenses - yet. They haven't figured out how to go about this yet. They are still trying to figure out how to license (and legalize) parasailing :)

Down Under
Level Contributor
709 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

Thank you so much for all your advice and information, it has proved very helpful. I think if hubby wants to include this as part of our holiday then we will be travelling to Indonesia instead :( It gives us something to think about so I thank you all again :))

Mentioned in this post
Penang Island...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

Hi,

You need to bring the lightwind gears ( 16M Min) if you want to kiteboard in Penang .

I have been kiting in Penang for the pass 2 years. The best bet is still between June and Aug when the SW monsoon kicks in.

Nov- Jan is still NE Monsoon with wind blowing from the mainland - gusty and weak. Feb - April will get strong thermal wind W-NW.

Most of my kiting is done on the mainland which about 45 minute drive across the Penang Bridge.

Alternatively - Langkawi Island which is a 1/2 hr short flight . A holiday destination by itself.

9. Re: Kite Surfing in Penang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 20, 2013