We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Dinner

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
235 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Dinner

I'd love some recommendations for a memorable birthday dinner. We need somewhere that will accommodate 8 of us (all adults). We're staying at BF and happy to travel to Georgetown or surrounds.

Edited: 6:17 pm, June 25, 2012
Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Dinner

Linda,

I will get in first and put forward "The Boatman" located along the strip at BF. Great local food and the friendly staff will give you great experience. If you, like me. love mud crabs, just advise the day before.

Another place we celebrated a birthday was the Buffet at the E&O hotel. They allowed us to bring a birthday cake and it was delivered by the wait staff and the musicians accompanied them singing Happy Birthday. All in all a great and memorable night.

Gaja

Edited: 10:48 pm, June 25, 2012
Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Dinner

Thanks Gaja, I will look at these. The E&O buffet gets a mixed review lately so I'm not too confident. I've heard only good things about The Boatman.

Penang
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Dinner

How about something really special and going on a boat trip see the sunset Know many people who have done this But you need to contact Eileen at blue whale cruises not sure if you are allowed to give out email addresses for more information

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Dinner

Linda,

We went to E&O as a party of 7 last December and had a great night. We requested an inside table near the sea view window. We return each visit and have not been disappointed once. We are already booked in for our next visit, that's how much we like it.

Gaja

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Dinner

Hi Gaja, I'm still deciding on the birthday dinner and since it's in 3 weeks I thought I'd better do some homework. When you went to the E&O buffet was it in the new Victory Annexe Wing? This is where it says it is on the website. I haven't been to the E&O since it's been extended.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Dinner

Hi Linda,

Yes it is now in the new annex when we last went in September. We entered by the main entrance and walked down to the room. A note about the food. If you want the baked fish, don't wait as they only presented one on our night and it disappeared very quickly.

It doesn't seem to have the same atmosphere as the old setting, but we still had a great night. We once missed out on the dinner because we left our booking to late.

Gaja

Edited: 11:32 pm, November 04, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Dinner

Have to agree with rat083 ..for something different contact bluewhalecruises for an experience to remember ..we on our trips to Penang do a cruise with them ..the last was a Sunset Dinner Cruise..and indeed an evening to remember....cruising the waters as the sun sinks slowly in the west

Eileen is the owner/skipper and you can contact her via email at

bluewhalecruises@gmail.com

website www.bluewhalecruises.com

They can arrange something to suit your needs

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Dinner

I'm also going to suggest the Blue Whale Cruise with Eileen. Lovely Meals and beautiful hospitality & knowledge.

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Dinner

Thanks, I'll look into the cruises as well :)

Hunter Valley...
Level Contributor
235 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Dinner

Update:

We we're back from our trip and I thought I'd share our birthday dinner decision and review here. We eventually decided to go to Chin's Stylish Chinese Restaurant in Georgetown and I'm happy we did. Here's the review I've written (not published yet)

"After much searching online I decided to book this restaurant for our party of 8 for a birthday dinner..... I am so glad I did. I'd have to say it was one of the best meals I've had in a very long time.

Six of us had the prefix menu E and two ordered from the a la carte menu.

The prefix menu consisted of about 10 tasty dishes, including century egg, garlic cucumber, heavenly blessed joysticks (seafood on skewers), sesame prawns on toast, crispy duck, wild freshwater perch + a few more I can't recall and dessert. All the dishes were beautifully presented and just delightful.

We also spent the evening drinking French White Wine and Australian Red's, a total of 6 bottles were had so we were surprised the bill only came to 1900 MR for the 8 of us. Yes, maybe expensive by Malay standards, but convert that back to Australian prices and taking in the incredible surroundings, the outstanding service and the amazing water views.... it was well worth every cent!

I will make time to visit this each time I visit and can recommend it for anyone who enjoys fine dining and/or has a special celebration."

The website is here http://sohopenang.com/Outlet-Chins.aspx I phoned when I arrived to make the booking and had no trouble getting in, though it was on a Monday night. We also took the address with us and just as well as the taxi drivers (2) we used didn't know where it was without us showing the full address.