We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
143 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

Hi,

My husband and I are looking to travel to Penang for the week between Christmas and New Year. Our flight would arrive in KL mid afternoon, and we have 6 nights all up. My question is: should we spend a night in KL before flying to Penang, or just head straight to Penang and spend the whole time there? We are really just interested in a relaxing type break with lots of great food. We don't want to try to cram in too much for a first visit, so is the night in KL worth a quick look or leave for another time (we are not really city people)?

Many thanks for any tips!

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,123 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

I think you have sort of answered the question yourself i.e.:

"We are really just interested in a relaxing type break...."

"We don't want to try to cram in too much....."

"...we are not really city people."

Based on the above, IMHO, all six nights in penang.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,742 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

Hi

" should we spend a night in KL before flying to Penang "

Really only you can decide.

" is the night in KL worth a quick look "

Yes

" we are not really city people "

Ok, well, don't then. But would you visit the UK without visiting London just because you are not city people . . . . . .

KL has some sights that you don't find anywhere . . . . . Petronas Towers and KL Menara [Tower], but if you feel that you don't want to go there, then don't. Not everyone visits Kuala Lumpur just because they visit Malyaisa.

Penang has the great food, the lots of things to do, or some great shopping. Its a busy time of yera so lots of people about, but you can always find a relaxing spot!

So really, only you can answer the question.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
5,026 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

I think going straight to Penang is the best option as you have limited time.

If you flight arrives in KL at (say) 13.00 - you can be in Penang by 17.00

If you choose to go into KL (I don't think it is worth the effort for just one night): Arrive 13.00 - get into the city by 15.30. Over night in KL and then use half a day getting to Penang.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

hiya ozkiwis yep got to go with the others on here id go straight to penang and not bother with k.l

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
143 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

Thanks for all your replies, we do appreciate the suggestions of those that have been before to help us make the most of our holiday!

So all 6 nights in Penang it is. We will see KL another time when we can spend more time.

I have read that we should allow about 3 hours between arriving and taking the next flight? Our flights would be on Air Asia from Gold Coast, then Air Asia to Penang, so the same terminal.

Does anyone have any intel on how reliable these flights are, and what times we should allow for the connection?? A travel agent I spoke to seems to think they are more often late/cancelled than on time?

Many thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

hiya ozkiwi just one thing to remember check your flite to penang as air asia have a little habit of changeing times and not telling you!!!

they changed mine to bali by 1 1/2 hours earlier!! and my one to penang 1/2 hour earlier, and it was someone on here just told me to keep and eye on my flite times which i did and thats how i found out!! would of missed both if i hadnt checked have a brilliant time on penang which i know you will

George Town...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

hi.well,you have done a right choice.Penang is all about people,culture,heritage and food....Being in Penang,actually you are experiencing Asia in Malaysia.In this cross roads of great civilization where dozens of language spoken together with food assimilated from various culture, create a special flavor in its taste.

since you are here why not take a day trip to Langkawi as known as a nature paradise.....book a trip with selva who conduct a nature and a geological trip.

currently Selva organize langkawi day trip (vise versa)where u safe three hours traveling by sea direct from Penang to Langkawi..

.please refer to www.selvawetland.com and for further information you can log on Tripadvisor langkawi forum 'selva langkawi'.

last but not least,try to save 1 day for Kuala Lumpur as you are first time in malaysia.

8. Re: All 6 nights in Penang, first visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 08, 2011