We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penang to relax?

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Penang to relax?

Hi All, My hubby and I are booked to go to Penang next February. We are staying in Singapore and KL on the way. Was looking to have a relaxing end to our holiday, we are booked at the E&O but the more I read the more I think it may be a bit hectic and maybe even dirty. Any thoughts anyone?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penang to relax?

gosh, the E&O is possibly the closest hotel in Sin/Mal to the old Raffles hotel. Full of colonial charm. I've been to the lobby, luxurious, no chance of it being dirty at all...the only "problem" is that it is smack in the middle of town, which is dense and hectic.

Perhaps you might want to consider finding a 5* hotel by Penang's beautiful beaches? The best 2 will be the Mutiara or the Shangri La Golden Sands.

Downtown Penang (a.k.a Georgetown) is not very diff from KL or Singapore. But Penang's beaches are very different, and wonderful to chill out. Lots of restaurants along the beach strip (tailored esp for brits a bit like Cascais or Tenerife or Marbella) and every night, there is a flea market where you can buy all the fakes you need.

If its 2-3 nights to unwind, yes, go for a Penang beach hotel.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
437 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penang to relax?

The E&O is one of the 5 star hotels in Georgetown but the location is not where one would go for a relaxing holiday as it is along a busy narrow one way street in town. I agree with above posting that you should consider the other 4 and 5 star hotels along the beaches like Mutiara Beach Resort, Grand Plaza Park Royal and Shangrila Golden Sands. The last two hotels are in Batu Feringhi where there are plenty of restaurants and a night market. Mutiara is the most relaxing to me; beautiful pools, long sandy beach and beautiful coffee house with delicious buffets!!

London UK
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Penang to relax?

We have just returned from our Far East holidays and visited Penang, Singapore and KL. In Penang we stayed at the Grand Plaza Parkroyal... Fantastic hotel. This hotel is situated next to the best beach areas of Penang. The one you mentioned is downtown which we found to be quite hectic and noisy.Ask for an upgrade to a family room with a balcony (appears to be the norm). Right on the beach, landscaped pool and the night markets on their doorstep.Cheaper than the Golden Sands. Singapore, our choice was the Traders Hotel, once again fanatstic hotel, next to Orchard road (main shopping area)and there is an access to a shopping mall adjoining the hotel(including a foodhall and many restr.)Lovely pool areas and the best breakfast choices we have sampled.

Belgium
Level Contributor
159 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penang to relax?

In Penang, I agree with Safetyperson, about the Grand Plaza Park Royal. An excellent price quality. I stayed myself in the Holiday Inn, which is next to it. A nice hotel also, but for the same rates or even less the Grand Plaza is better.

If you want something special in Penang is the " Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion Georgetown"

Have a look at:

www.cheongfatttzemansion.com/4his-01.htm

UK
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penang to relax?

If you just want to sit around and relax - Stay out of georgetown and stay near Ferringhi Beach - its around a 20 min drive from the centre.

Theres some hotels right on the beach front that are ideal to just relax around.

PENANG
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penang to relax?

I would say , it depends what you are looking for . The E@O Is still a fantastic hotel at a really good price . You can relax if you go for a suite /room with balcony over looking the sea and pool.

It is in a busy part of town , but all the history , good food and atmosphere is all around.

If you stay in Batu Ferringhi you have to make the effort to go back into Georgetown .

I DO NOT RATE THE MUTIARA AT ALL !!!! . It has gone down hill big time . Its awaiting renovation and will soon become an Interconinental Resort Hotel.

The Grand Plaza Park Royal Is fine but DRINKS are HELLISH EXPENSIVE . Other good hotel is the Bayview Beach.

Hope thats of help

Yours

Mark Walker