We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trouble with location

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
trouble with location

hi,

i'm going to penang next august and i'm trying to find which hotel is best for location. i like walking around town and going on excursions. i like to eat out at local restaurants/stalls at night and then maybe walk around markets and/or go to a local bar. not bothered about the beach. would traders or E&O be best for this? any other suggestions? it's for my honeymoon but don't need a spa hotel. can spend up to $250/night.

thanks.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: trouble with location

Both are in Georgetown and food stalls/restaurants are everywhere. Pubs/bars are within walking distance, but shorter walk from E&O.

E&O is more of a grand old Dame, mini version of Singapore Raffles hotel.

Per map, Traders is at C3 location(in front of Komtar Bus Terminal). E&O is B4 location(near Bayview hotel).

Distance between the 2 hotels is about 15mins walk.

malaysia123.com/maps/map_Penang_Georgetown.p…

scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: trouble with location

excellent.

thanks very much for the map, that's a great help.

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trouble with location

As dss said, they will both meet your needs - depending on the type of hotel you prefer.

I am a fan of Traders Penang as it is central without being part of the tourist area...... you can walk across Georgetown in about 15 minutes to 30 minutes depending on the direction.

Traders does have the big advantage of being very close to Macalister Road (and surrounding streets) - a great food place

Philippines
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: trouble with location

Is Evergreen Lauriet Hotel a convenient place for hawker food and shopping? are these within a short walk?

Conwy, United...
Destination Expert
for Penang Island, Sarawak, George Town
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trouble with location

The Evergreen Laural is on Gurney Drive - the bottom end (nearer to Georgetown) away from the Gurney Drive Hawker Center (which is near Gurney Plaza).

There are a number of eating places along Gurney drive - you will not starve.

It is a long walk into Georgetown - probably take about 25 minutes.

Taxi to Penang road area will be about rm10.00 - rm15.00

The Evergreen is not far from Pulau Tikus area - lots of hawker food here. Also, only about 15 minutes walk to Jln Nagore.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,718 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trouble with location

HI

If the budget can stretch to the E&O then do, otherwise go with Traders as Esor' says, as it a lovely and well positioned hotel.

The best night market in Penang is in Batu Ferringhi, some 20mins taxi from Georgetown. Why not spend a few days in Georgetown and then a few at Batu Ferringhi and get to see both sides of Penang.

7. Re: trouble with location

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, October 10, 2009