We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
171 posts
34 reviews
60 helpful votes
Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

We’ve been back for a couple of weeks so I thought I would put down some details from our recent visit to Penang that I hope may be useful for other potential visitors.

This was our second visit – our first being 5 years ago. You may still be able to find my first trip report from back then. We saw a lot of the “main sights” during our first visit, so this time we didn’t feel the need to repeat those things.

We stayed 7 nights which was a great length of time to enjoy some touring, eating and relaxing.

Lone Pine (I have posted a separate review) was the perfect base for us and we couldn’t fault the hotel at all. I would suggest it for any couple looking for a smaller hotel but with good facilities.

We really enjoyed staying by the ocean (although I wouldn’t swim in it) for the walking along the sand to the beach bars and the amazing sunsets.

We used GRAB for all our transport to and from Georgetown. Every trip took about half an hour, so we may have been lucky with traffic. 18-21RM per trip, however one trip was 37RM apparently due to peak time (7.30am). We had planned to use the bus but we were pleasantly surprised by the affordability and ease of GRAB (having never used this before) – so don’t be afraid to download the app and use this service, it is so easy.

We exchanged some cash on arrival into Penang airport (AUD rate 2.7) and at other times at Batu Ferringhi (opposite Park Royal) and in Georgetown (opposite Goddess of Mercy Temple). We never felt like we were being scammed (as you can in places like Bali) and rates were between 2.86-2.95.

We once again used Morgan as our driver – for airport pick-up and drop-off (60RM each way), and for a one day trip around the island (25RM per hour). I highly recommend Morgan; he is a great guide. (+60 17-403 1294 – use Whatsapp). He will put together any sort of day you like.

Don’t under-estimate the effect of the heat on your plans – It. Was. SO. HOT!! Even the locals were saying it was hotter than usual. We wanted to spend lots of time walking around Georgetown, but a couple of times we ended up doing less than we planned because it got too hot. Best advice is to utilise the earlier morning and evening when it is a little more bearable and take your time. Don’t try to fit too much into any one day. Intersperse a day with trips into air-conditioning (eg cafes or museums).

We visited the Penang Peranakan Museum (20RMpp) just as a tour was about to start, but we found it too crowded & hot with a group so we ended up breaking off and just wandering around on our own. It’s worth a visit either way.

We also went to the Colonial Penang Museum (30RMpp) – it is outside the Heritage centre at Pulau Tikus but worth a cheap GRAB ride if you enjoy colonial history. It is set in an old mansion (interesting in itself) and is really just a large eclectic private collection of all sorts of things! You are taken on a guided tour so you don’t get to just look around yourself.

I took a look at the Teddyville Museum (At the DoubleTree Hilton Resort 36RM) -hubby wasn’t interested lol. It’s more an exhibition than a museum, but if you like cute and cuddly as well as some Penang history it’s a bit of fun for 30-45min to check out and you can take some cute photos with life-sized teddy-bears! Go over the road to the Miami Café afterwards and enjoy the excellent Curry & Roti overlooking the Bay (lovely husband and wife café).

We booked a morning cycling tour with MetroBike (220RM pp). I will post a separate review, but don’t hesitate to book a tour with Ken at Metrobike (+60 12 429 0035), you will have an amazing morning. He can tailor your morning to visit places that interest you and I have to say that cycling around GT is so easy and way cooler than walking! Ken took us to some places we would not have found on our own. We chose his “try and learn” tour and it was so much fun actually getting to try out some of the local trades around GT – including making my own Char Kway Teow at a street stall!

On our day trip with Morgan we headed around the island to stop at a few places we were interested in. We thought we would spend 6 hours out, but it ended up being over 8 – you will spend more time at places than you realise and it does take a while to go short distances so don’t try to cram too much into one day.

Entopia was much better than what I was expecting even if you don’t really love bugs, it’s very interesting with good displays. We spent over an hour there. We printed out a discount voucher from the Penang Tourist website, so entry was 55RM each. (There were a few other discount vouchers on that website for attractions, so worth looking at before you go).

The Botanical Gardens was also a surprise, and well worth an hour wandering around. I was worried about reports of aggressive monkeys, but the ones we saw were not in the least interested in us thank goodness.

If you like a walk uphill, the stairs up to the Waterfall Hindu Temple (Arulmigu Balathandayuthapani – just out of Pulau Tikus) is worth the trek for the temple and the views back to Georgetown.

A highlight of our day around the island was stopping at the fish markets at Balik Pilau and then taking the fresh seafood we brought to a café (Jia Siang) for them to cook while we waited. Delicious, fresh and so cheap. We were definitely the only tourists in this spot! The café is right on the river, and we saw 2 gigantic water monitor (lizards) swimming amongst the fishing boats there. On the road down to the river we also enjoyed stopping at the Belacan Factory to see the Shrimp Paste drying in the sun (Morgan was able to translate for us in both these places as no English was spoken).

We wanted to do the free walking tour (from the Info Centre on Beach St) but when we got there to register it was already full (I think they take max 20 people) so if you want to do this, get there really early (probably minimum an hour before the tour start) to register then go over to the food court for a drink or snack while you wait.

Finally the food, which was one of the main reasons we visited Penang for a second time, and it was as good as we remembered. We wanted to eat as much “street-food” as possible, and we certainly succeeded! I had a list of places/dishes I wanted to try before we arrived. We were disappointed a few times, with places being closed or not being able to find a place so next time we might just wing it a little more and follow our noses or the crowds to the food. We loved all the food we tried and everything was so cheap (to us) we were able to order multiple plates of food for each meal! Happy to go into more detail on the food we tried if people are interested.

A small note that food is pretty abysmal at the airport! We thought we would be able to get dinner after going through immigration but we were wrong. There were only 2 small cafes and one of them only took cash, the other had nasty looking sandwiches etc and noodles (that we ordered) that were horrible. A sad end to an otherwise wonderful holiday! At least we had already eaten our fill over the previous 7 days.

Well that’s all I can think of at the moment, but happy to answer any questions anyone has.

We will come back to Penang again and hopefully we won’t have to wait another 5 years!

23 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
209 reviews
99 helpful votes
1. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Thanks for posting your report. There have been quite a few queries about the Lone Pine Hotel recently so hopefully your review will be helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
7,910 posts
105 reviews
54 helpful votes
2. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Thanks for your trip report. We too are looking forward to returning to Penang.

Cheers

Sean

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
68 reviews
108 helpful votes
3. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Nice trip report.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
75 reviews
72 helpful votes
4. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Thanks ozkiwis,

I enjoyed reading your informative trip review. I Have taken a note of your suggestion about Jia Siang. I love visiting the Western side of Penang Island.

Gaja

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
80 reviews
52 helpful votes
5. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Great report.

Don't be too disappointed at missing the free walking tour. I was somewhat disappointed in the 5 sites we visited and thought we would see and learn a lot more.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
877 posts
65 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Thanks Oz,

I love to read of others experiences and appreciate fellow travellers advice.

I had actually just read your one on Candidasa yesterday.

We are definitely going back to Penang and Langkawi.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
877 posts
65 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

I just went back and read your reviews.

We must be like minded travellers.

We just had Easter at Turtle Bay Lodge.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Hi ozkiwis,

I'd be interested in hearing about some of the food places you liked if you wouldn't mind sharing or messaging me?

Thanks

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
171 posts
34 reviews
60 helpful votes
9. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

Thanks for all of the responses.

Kath P, Santo is awesome isn't it. We haven't been to Langkawi yet but it's on our list, and we are planning to go back to Candidasa (and Amed) for this Christmas. Due to our work commitments we can't really take more than a week off at a time which limits our travel options for now.

Aharding2403 I will put together a bit of a list of some of the food places we visited and post it tomorrow.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
171 posts
34 reviews
60 helpful votes
10. Re: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019

So the food: We love to eat and I can’t say we had anything that we didn’t actually like! The beauty is the local cafes and food stalls are all so cheap that if you don’t really fancy something you can just try something different. There were a couple of places that we went to that we wouldn’t bother returning to, but I won’t list those as others may have a different experience to us.

Here is a list of the food places we enjoyed/would go back to in Penang.

Batu Ferringhi:

Long Beach Hawkers at night – we had dinner here a few times and didn’t have a bad plate of food.

Absolute favourite there was the banana & honey Roti (drool).

Enca (Indian) – excellent Indian meal

Helena’s Café – yummy Malaysian: Rendang, CKT, Roti

Boatman – We only had a snack here but would definitely come back for more.

Georgetown:

Karaikudi – amazing Indian

Sri Ananda Bahwan – this was our #1 favourite last time and we made a bee-line for it as soon as we returned. Our first dinner there was a bit underwhelming (Biryani) but we had a breakfast here which was incredible, and we stopped at another branch (Pulau Tikus) and had Banana Leaf Rice that was also incredible.

Bibiks Kitchen – nice Nonya meal

Sri Weld Food Court

CF Hawker Centre

Goh Thew Chik – for Delicious Hainan Chicken Rice

Try some of the Tambun Biscuits (Tau Sar Piah) – we had some that were still warm from a lady at the Chowrasta markets, she makes them every day – delicious. Also had a really good Pisang Goreng from Chowrasta markets too.

Other:

The Tuesday night markets at Tanjung Bungah were well worth a visit for a wide range of good food stalls.

Miami Café – over the road from the Teddyville Museum. Really nice views right on the water, really cold beer, excellent curry and paratha and run by a lovely husband and wife.

The fish market and café (Jia Siang) at Balik Pulau that I already mentioned in my report.

I think that’s about all – I still have so much on my list that we didn’t get to, so must start making a plan to return!

Reply to: Our Penang Trip Report - April 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted