We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

I have been told by someone who has visited Pangkor Laut resort that the water surrounding the island is very green and murky, not what one would expect from an idyllic paradise setting. This factor is very important to us as we would like to go snorkelling nearby the resort. We are travelling in April 06, not sure if the time of year makes a difference to water quality and visibility. Is snorkelling available from the shore at Pangkor Laut or must one go out on a boat.

Many thanks

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
105 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

Hi Cazzyg,

Am afraid waters around Pangkor Laut is no good for snorkelling - one usually goes there to enjoy the luxurious resort and the great spa. If you are looking for crystal clear waters and white sand beaches, do consider heading over to Redang Island, Tioman island or Perhentian Island. You may not find a resort as luxurious as Pangkor Laut on these islands but there are pretty nice alternatives.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,576 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

Yes the time of the year affects the quality of the water in the EAST coast, namely Tioman, Redang, Perhentian..etc Its the end of the monsoon season and beginning of the tourist season. Just about right.

The waters around Pangkor Laut is acceptable for a dip and to lie on the beach. Its very nice as its the only resort on the island so no touts or locals intruding on your privacy. You can snokel from the shore but there is not much to see.

However, it will be different from the great barrier reef where you can see 50ft down and can count every fish and coral. To get that you need to go the the East Coast of Malaysia.

An alternative suggestion would be to go to Sabah. They have a luxury resort there called Sutera harbour (5-star) and also good waters for snokelling and diving.

Kuala Lumpur
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

What you heard is correct as the water at this time around is very green and murky due to the monsoon season. I was there couple of weeks back. If you are travelling in April or May month the water is clean and clear but Pangkor is definitely not the place you would want to go if you want to snorkel.

Penang Malaysia
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

I just got back from Pulau Pangkor three days ago and went snorkelling at Pangkor Laut. The water wasn’t crystal clear but it wasn’t green and murky either. At best I would say its OK. I was there in April 2004 and the water was similar. There are better places to go in Malaysia for snorkelling, mostly on the east coast though Pulau Payar between Penang & Langkawi is very good.

I'll try to attach a photo to show the water quality

cheers

malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

if talk about snorkelling ... i guess my 15 years experience is quite an expert one .. i still prefer Redang island .. and it's paradise for snorkellers ..

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

I find its generally nicer than Langkawi but it cant compare to the east coast or east Malaysia. You should be able to get some snorkeling in but it wont be out of this world.

West Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

We are considering going to Malaysia for our honeymoon next May, and snorkelling and diving is very important to us. Can anyone recommend any particular resorts that are good for snorkelling?

Thank you

Amanda

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

Hello Amanda,

First of all I am an avid diver and it is important to me as well. I love Malaysia but sadly there are not many resorts that have excellent diving/snorkeling right out front. Water clarity in many mainland places in Malaysia isn’t very good. Its not dirty, they just have sand mixed up in the water. If the resort does have good snorkel beaches in front it is often far away from any other kind of activities, restaurants, attractions.

The best diving and snorkeling in Malaysia are near Terengganu and Sabah. Langkawi is the largest tourist destinations and offers several very good dive and snorkel trips but not quite as nice as Sabah or Terengganu.

Sabah offers some of the best diving in the world as a matter of fact. You will find some of the major dive guides and magazines listing certain islands in Sabah as top dive sites. There are a few island resorts (mostly 2-3 stars) but they are inconvenient to the main town of Kota Kinabalu. They offer boat services to and from but stop at nights. Night time in a Malaysian city can be really fun and you wouldn’t want to be on a boat schedule. A island resort means you will be limited and more expensive in your choices of other recreation, food, beverage, and shopping. You can of course stay at one of the places in Kota Kinabalu (Tanjung Aru, Nexus, Rasa Ria, or Beringgis). They have nice beaches and the water is clean but clarity isn’t very good (sand in water). The first three I mentioned are 5 star and Beringgis is a 3 star. Tanjung Aru and Beringgis are the most convenient to town. The good thing about Sabah is that it offers a lot of other natural attractions and its near a large town. You have the Poring Hot Springs, Kinabalu the tallest mountain in S.E. Asia, Orang Utan sanctuaries, etc. Kota Kinabalu has a population of 400,000+. It’s a great place to rent a car and explore. Car rentals are very cheap.

Tanjung Aru shangri-la.com/kotakinabalu/…index.aspx

Nexus Resort http://www.nexusresort.com/index_nr.html

Rasa Ria www.shangri-la.com/rasaria

Beringgis Beach Resort www.borneoresorts.com/

Terengganu has very nice waters, similar to Thailand, but there really isn’t a large town around. This can be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for. The nice thing is you can get resorts here with good water right out front. This area is slowly developing into a tourist area. As such you can be more limited in other activities. It’s still a very nice place though and the serenity can be rather nice. The best place would likely be Redang Island. There are a couple really nice resorts and just as many 3 star places there. As such you will have some choices for food and other activities. It’s a wonderful place to relax and you truly feel like you are in an isolate island paradise. I will list the 4 star places on Redang if you would like some 3 star let me know.

Coral Island www.coralredang.com.my/

Berjaya Redang www.berjayaresorts.com.my/redang-beach/

Laguna Redang www.lagunaredang.com.my/

Langkawi is the major tourist destination for Malaysia and a great place for a honeymoon. Sadly none of the beaches on the main island offer great snorkeling. Again it’s a sand in the water issue. There are numerous cheap and easy to do options for dive and snorkel trips though. Langkawi also has a lot of other attractions, tons of cheap and nice resorts, great shopping, decent enough nightlife, and cheap food. Also the whole island is duty free so it is by far the cheapest place in Malaysia to have a few drinks. It’s an absolute joy to drive in Langkawi. There is a road that circles the entire island and you can spend a wonderful afternoon just driving around and stopping at attractions and beaches. There are too many resorts on Langkawi to list but the island doesn’t feel crowded. Langkawi only has a population of around 60,000 people. If you have a budget in mind I will be happy to list the top places.

Note: None of the places in Malaysia will have the nightlife of Bali or Thailand but they also don’t have the sleeze either. You won’t see “professional girls” nor will people try to sell stuff to you every 5 minutes while on the beach.

Hope this helps some and if it brought up any further questions feel free to ask them.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Water quality surrounding Pangkor Laut

Hi Cazzyg, I guessed from the feedback, you may have come to a ultimate decision. I agree with most the points given, and since you have objectively indicated snorkelling, I am afraid you will be disappointed.

When Pavarotti, visited PLR, he was quoted saying that he almost cried because he could not believe how beautiful a paradise could be...well take it with a pinch of salt--do not think the great tenor went for a dip, i.e. snorkelling.

But we are already in the month of May 06, and since you indicated your travel would have been in April 06.

So???