We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipoh's "downtown"?

Which Ipoh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ipoh's "downtown"?

Is there a sort of downtown area for Ipoh, like the city centre where many visitors hang out, much like KL's Petaling Street area or Bukit Bintang area, or Penang's Penang Road or Batu Ferringhi ? If so what are the budget hotels around there?

I will be traveling from KL on the 14th or 15th Sept. and stay a night in Ipoh before going to Cameron Highlands, or I might go to CH first before coming to Ipoh.

Thanks in advance.

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

Jaya Jusco, nothing much in ipoh, normally people just bypass Ipoh.

Edited: 12:17 am, August 31, 2012
Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
984 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

Ipoh is relatively quiet at nignt with scattered eating places.

The nearest bit to a new downtown if you want to call that might be Greentown square and business centre, but nothing like Penang road or Bkt Bintang.

Hotels on TA list- Rega Lodge, French hotel..i'm sure youll check those out :-)

Malaysia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

Ipoh is quite a good smaller town to put up a night.

can check it out with Syuen Hotel, Excelsor Hotel..

Ipoh has one of the best Dim Sum in Malaysia - Foo San, Ming Court..

Both of the mentioned Dim Sum places is behind Excelsor Hote (town centre)

Also famous for Ipoh "hor hee", very good fish meat ball noodles soup.

can check it out.

By the way, Malaysia famous white coffee - Old Town - is originated from Ipoh. The old shop is still around.

Cheers !

Edited: 6:26 am, August 31, 2012
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

My answer is YES there is.. it called Gerbang Malam located along Osborne St off Brewster Road (Jalan Dato Tahwil Azar off Jalan Sultan Idris Shah) .. beside Bank Simpanan Nasional building.

THIS : https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphot…

but the pic was on a day before Eid two weeks ago and of course it packed with people because of preparation for the celebration.

Budget hotels is around 10 minutes walking distance to the north west and prominent Tune Hotels is located there. Other is Hotel Ipoh City , Hotel Dragon Inn , French Hotel and few more.

Have a nice trip

Ipoh, Malaysia
Level Contributor
30 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

I do agree with Fadli.

You may stay at the new budget hotel De Botani Inn near Simpang Pulai which OTW to Cameron. If you want to hang out.. the nearest is at the Dataran Ipoh which opposite Ipoh Parade Mall . You can enjoy our local food there & shopping at the opposite of dataran Ipoh. (Ipoh Square Centre)

You may stay at the Tower Regency hotel / Apartment which walking distance from these 2 places.

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

There is nothing much in Ipoh. Most people stopby Ipoh for the food only. The most famous foods are Dim Sum and Bean Sprout chicken. Both are at town centre

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
407 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

I just came back from Ipoh and I only have one word for Ipoh's food: Brilliant!

Yes, I do agree Ipoh does not have much touristy attractions, but its food makes up for everything. I would certainly go to Ipoh again and again, if only for the food.

My fave: Ipoh White Coffee (at Nam Heong, the Mecca of IWC), Bean Sprout Chicken rice, char kueh tiaw (Penang style, actually better than Penang's! IMO), chee cheong fun, popiah and finally the awesome dimsum at Foh San, Ming Court and those kopitiams surrounding the area, they are all wonderful.

Unfortunately I did not note down all the names of the eateries as my mind was just "food-glorious-food"! And I was just scratching at the surface!

Ampang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

hi,

I be travel train to ipoh, next month Dec'2012.

1) Can recommend any hotel near there ? Perhaps, walking distance..

Rgds,

Angel

Tasmania
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

I"ll be going to Ipoh on 25/12/13 from Penang. I have booked hotel excelsior which is surrounded by some of the "so called famous" food in Ipoh. I got the brochure " Ipoh food trail" during the recent Malaysia travel fair. It is quite informative. Give it a try. Happy holiday !

Quezon City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ipoh's "downtown"?

I just came from Ipoh. Actually I thought the old town and new town are quite interesting areas but maybe that's just the architecture buff in me speaking. Anyways, there's also a lot of nice eating places round these areas. At night, certain parts of the new town become pedestrianized and lined with street stalls.

I also wrote about my trip here. Hope it can be of help: iwandered.net/2014/…