We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheating/Kuantan road trip

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Cheating/Kuantan road trip

I have read that there are two ways to drive to kuantan/cherating from singapore (via N/S H'way-Segamat-Kuantan) & (JB-Mersing-Rompin-pekan-Kuantan) but i have these doubts to clarify:

1) Which way is faster in terms of time and distance?

2) Any petrol station (preferable Shell petrol station) along both routes?

3) Any recommendation for fuel stops along both routes with full tank from singapore?

4) Any good rest stops for food along both routes?

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

1) Btw any recomendation rest stop for good local malay food along the mersing-kuantan coastal route?

------ Let me check with my friend later, I am OK for all the foods, no need specified, but will try to check with you.

2) Travelling from S'pore, where do you suggest for the next fuel stop before proceeding to kuantan/cherating?

------- As long as your car is full at JB, it is not a problem can reach Kuantan unless your car is heavy drinker, if you still worry then refill it at Mersing, along the road you easily find petrol stations.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,409 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

Hi

All petrol the same in Malaysia excepy Shell had V-power for certain station only

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

i am a muslim and travelling with my folks, halal food is a must. My trip consist of 2 cars with each carrying 5 pax so we are thinking of making atleast 1 fuel stop and 2 rest stops along the journey... Thanks Ping-i3 for checking out for me. I will be waiting to hear for findings....

My itenary for the trip:

Day 1

Head to Cherating Holiday Villa. Rest of the day chill at the resort and the beach.

(any suggestion on where to eat and what else to do in Cherating?)

Day 2

Proceed to Swiss Garden for 2 nights stay. Spent the day in Kuantan town and Tanjung Lumpur. Goin to shopping malls (berjaya and East Coast mall). Stroll along Jalan Besar and Kuantan River. Dinner at Tanjung Lumpur

(Any good malay restaurant in Kuantan town and Tanjung Lumpur (seafood)and directions to get there)

Day 3

Head to Sungai Pandan Waterfall

(i heard that it is crowded during weekends so any idea what time i have to be there? Any food stalls there?)

Day 4

Return to Spore

Any comments on my ienary are most welcome...

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

Yesterday checked with 2 friends as follow:

1) At Mersing near the Jetty: There have restaurant selling the Big "Sotong"

2) At Endau, there is one restaurant "Restaurant Nusantara" is good.

3) At Kuantan, can find seafood restaurant near Kuantan River Bridge area. The Tanjong Lumpur also can try.(I am net very sure this is same area??)

Sorry I am not familiar with this area too, just translate from their suggestion, can feedback and teach me next time.

Enjoy your trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

I have just got back from my cherating/kuantan trip and it was a great trip apart from my car got knocked by a local car which was clearly not complying to traffic rules.

I drove to cherating on the first day of the trip by the coastal route. Left woodlands checkpoint at 0630hrs and head straight to Mersing for our rest stop. Passing by Kota tinggi, it took about 2 hours to reach mersing. The road leading to Mersing from kota tinggi are winding with sharp turns. So speeding will not be wise. After 1 hour beakfast, continued our journey up to rompin passing by Endau and head straight to Pekan. The journey took another 2 hours.

Driving from Pekan to Kuantan, there are road works to widen the road to Kuantan. Be extra carefull along the stretch as there are many heavy vehicle travelling along the route. Another 2 hours, i reached Cherating bypassing Kuantan town through Tanjung Lumpur. There is nothing scenic about the coastal route as all you see are big trees and baren land. The sea also could not be seen apart from town boaders.

After 1 night in Cherating and 2 great nights in Kuantan Swiss Garden, i made my journey back home and this time we decide to take the segamat route. Leaving Swiss Garden at 1200hrs, we head to Gambang by the Kuantan bypass. Turning left at the end of Gambang, we head to segamat by the kuantan-Segamat road. We reached Muadzam Shah town at 2pm and after 30 minutes rest for prayers at the local mosque, we head straight to Segamat. After 1hrs 30 minutes drive, we reached Segamat town and had another 1 hour late lunch at the town. Passing by Labis and Chaah, we pass Yong Peng town and got onto the NS Hway at 530pm heading to second link which is about 1 hour drive.

This route is more scenic as is cuts through hills and plantations. The roads are also stright making overtaking easy. There are also views of mountain tops similar to the one along NS Hway. One thing to note, there are many heavy vehicles carrying big tree trunks. Be careful when over taking and do not follow too close behing especially when travelling up slope. Theses trucks have no power to travel up slope due to heavy load. There is also fear whether the tree trunks are secured enough behind the lorry.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,409 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

Hi w4ss4p

In your opinion

which is the better way and time taken on each section of the routes.

Woodland-mersing Kuantan Vs woodland-segamat -woodland???

Cheers

Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

I would say that i prefer the segamat kuantan way. Although we have to come out some money for the toll payment on the NS Hway, the route is relatively pleasant to drive. Along Segamat-Kuantan road, the route is canopy by the tree branches beside the road. It gave shade from the sun along the whole stretch of road. Further more if you are not going to kuantan town, you can take Kuantan bypass in Gambang to head to Swiss garden or even cherating. That saves time.

18. Re: Cheating/Kuantan road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, December 16, 2009