We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Malaysia in April

Stourbridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
East Coast Malaysia in April

Coming to Kuantan in April. Probably hiring a car and exploring the East Coast. Familiar with the west but never traveled on this side of Malaysia apart from a diving expedition to Tioman in the '70s. Any suggestions for trips using Kuantan as a base. We will be here for two weeks. Not much interested in KL. Recommendations for hotels also much appresiated.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

Greetings.

Yes, you can easily rent a car from Kuantan and drive up to Terengganu, where the islands are. Redang, Perhentian. Excellent islands. Also Kenyir Lake for the tropical forest experience. There is not much to see and do in Kuantan, and much more in Trengganu and maybe up north in Kelantan, Malay heartland.

Hotels plentiful in Kuantan, in the town and up the beaches. We like Swiss Garden.

2. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:54 pm, September 22, 2008
Indonesia
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

Hi, Swiss Garden is a nice hotel in Kuantan. For beach, I recommend Cherating beach than in Kuantan. Kuantan to Cherating takes only 20-30 mins drive (using the new highway). I normally stayed in Legend hotel or Impiana hotel in Cherating - both have nice beach, but Legend has better room condition than Impiana. Seafood is a must over there.... try Pak Su restaurant near Balok beach or Peninsula rest. just next to Legend hotel.

Staying either in Kuantan or Cherating for MAX 3 days as you can easily get bored - you can't do much there apart from lying in the beach & pool. I just came back from Cherating last week and found that the water are not so clear. I would make Kuantan or Cherating as a base before going to Pulau Perhentian or Pulau Redang - both are nice islands with white sands & clearer water - approx 2.5hrs drive from Cherating. If you go to Pulau Perhentian - stay in Perhentian Besar - where the nice hotels are located.

London, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

Hi - what is your budget? We drove up the East coast a couple of months ago but we did it on a bit of a shoestring so my recommendations may not be up to your standards! I agree with the others that 3 days in Kuantan is probably enough, but you could continue on up the coast to Kuala Terengganu and the Perhantians and drive back down the middle which is quite jungley. We enjoyed the elephant sanctuary which is halfway between KL and Kuantan.

Stourbridge, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

Hi bod75.

Thanks for your post. Information from previous posts most welcome. Pretty much easy on places to stay or eat. Budget is modest but as long as there's a pool to laze by and a set of hawker stalls nearby, we're usually pretty laid back. Booked my flight to S'pore yesterday (staying a week). Now pricing flights from S'pore to Kuantan. (See new post)

London, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

Hi..in Kuantan we stayed at Duta Village beach resort which was about 150 - 160 myr a night for 2 adults and a child. It was a bit "tired" but the pool was nice - and you stay in chalets in thir grounds on the beach. Ask for beachfront ones. The actual hotel rooms in the main building didnt look very nice though I didnt see inside them. Its about a 10 minute drive north out of Kuantan (I think its actually Besarah) but well situated if you want to look at Cherating too. We ate in the hotel one night and the food was quite good. We then drove up the coast and had 2 nights in Kuala Terengganu at the Seri Indah hotel which was really good vaue at 120 myr for the 3 of us...and also had a good pool...I would recommend that you ask for a seaview room here too as its also right on the beach. Dont get too excited about the breakfasts at either of these though. If you are thinking of going further north, or to the Perhentians I can recommend budget options there too. Good luck...wish it was me..Berni.

7. Re: East Coast Malaysia in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 07, 2009