We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conned by pinkish fruit

Seremban, Malaysia
Level Contributor
59 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Conned by pinkish fruit

We were in Cameron Highlands for a short holiday recently in December 2013.

While we were visiting Kea Farm, I noticed a type of bright pinkish fruit for sale. It was packed 2 fruits in a tight plastic bag, and was priced at RM 10 per bag. Upon enquiring, we were told that it's a cross-breed between the strawberry and guava fruit. We were given a small slice of the fruit to taste it, and it was sweet and nice. We were told that he's the only one in Cameron Highland cultivating this type of fruit. After purchasing several packet of the fruits, we were told to place the fruits in a refrigerator when we get back home as the fruits taste better when it's cold.

Upon reaching our homes, I forgot to place the fruits in the refrigerator, and after 2 days, the pinkish colour on the fruits becomes dry, cracked up, wrinkled and peeled of easily. Upon checking the fruits closely, I noticed that it's actually a gauva fruit that has been dipped / soaked in a type of pinkish strawberry flavored syrup.

To think that I paid RM 10 for 2 gauva makes me feel cheated. It's not about the RM 10, but the cheating and dishonest character of some of the traders there. I am sure that most of the farmers and traders there are honest and works hard to make a living, but there are some who goes a long way to cheat some unsuspecting tourists.

Edited: 9:53 pm, December 27, 2013
2 replies to this topic
Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conned by pinkish fruit

You can't cross a shrub(strawberry )and a guava (woody tree).

You had been taken for,lesson learn and thank for the warning

Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conned by pinkish fruit

Thanks for this! I have always been curious as to what could it could be, but wasn't keen in buying it.

Reply to: Conned by pinkish fruit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brinchang