We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameron Highland on a weekend

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Topic
Cameron Highland on a weekend

Hi there,

I plan to visit Cameron Highland on a weekend in September from Kuala Lumpur. I plan to leave on Friday after noon and come back Saturday evening. Viewing this forum makes me think that its not a good idea to go to Cameron Highlands on a weekend because of traffic jams. Please advise if I should pursue this plan or not and tell me any possible alternatives to avoid traffic (going by train may be)?

Thanks.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

There are no alternatives as the jam occurs in Cameron Highlands itself especially between Brinchang and Kea Farm due to the deluge of weekenders that flood the area. Better to go on weekdays.

Unless you are not planning to move around much then by all means go.

The only way to get to Camerons is by road; there is no train or airfield.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Thanks for your message. What do you mean by 'move around much'. I was under the impression that once I get there, every thing is close by.

I plan to start the tour Saturday morning. What is the best possible itinerary for a saturday day trip, time wise?

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Cameron Highlands is made up of a series of small towns stretching from Ringlet to Blue Valley, a distance of about 36km. Most tourists will stay in Tanah Rata or Brinchang; but the main attractions such as the Tea Estates at Habu or Sungai Palas, are not really within walking distance of either and you will generally need transportation to get there.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

To see anything, or even go out to eat, you'll have to join the traffic jams. They get even worse around the night market area. Definitely do not go at a weekend. There is really no itinerary for a Saturday other than sit in traffic.

Karachi
Level Contributor
252 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

"There is really no itinerary for a Saturday other than sit in traffic."

I totally agree; traffic jams are terrible during weekends / holidays. The result being that the attractions such as BOH Tea cafe, Mount Brinchang, butterfly farms etc become inaccessible to people living in Tanah Rata or Brinchang since they would be sitting in the car, waiting for the traffic to move once you have crossed the Multicrops market after Brinchang during daytime. On Friday and Saturday nights the jam starts even before Brinchang due to the Night Market.

To conveniently move around the highlands and visit the attractions, one should go during the weekdays. It might be a good to plan your itinerary such that you return on Saturday morning, this way you will get a chance to visit the Night market on Friday evening.

Sohail

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Hi! Quick question related to this. I was planning on taking the bus from KL to Cameron Highlands on a Sunday morning, and then staying there Sunday and Monday nights. Would traffic still be as bad on Sunday morning?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Hi all,

Many thanks for your replies. What do you guys say about the following plan?

Leave for Cameron highlands on Thursday morning from KL. Spend Thursday/Friday there. Leave back for KL on Friday afternoon/evening.

Can this plan dodge the traffic problems?

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Yes, you should dodge most of the traffic, but remember that vehicles do start going up to the CH from KL from lunchtime onwards. That can mean it gets difficult for anything going back down to KL to find anywhere to pass other vehicles on the road. But maybe not a problem if you're not in a hurry. However do check out Malaysian public holidays, especially ones that might be local to KL, just in case your planned visit is on a public holiday and everybody is out on the roads.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
991 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

Hi, yes il will be much better doing that rather than on weekends or public holidays.

Generally speaking from drivng experience, the traffic flow in the direction towards Brinchang is more heavy esp late afternoon compared to the traffic flow the opposite direction from Brinchang town to Tanah Rata and Ringlet downwards. And if you embark late mornings down Ringlet to Tapah the big lorries carrying vegetables might help clear the road with their intimidating drive downhill or they might be breathing down your neck behind you, if self driving.

10. Re: Cameron Highland on a weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 24, 2015