We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For trekking, a personal guide to be hired or not

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Topic
For trekking, a personal guide to be hired or not

My friend and I are planning to do trekking on 24th of September 2011 along some trekking route in Cameron Highlands for several hours. Please let me know

1) How we can find a good trekking guide before going there

(as we will arrive there on the eve of 23rd, we will have not time

to find a guide after arriving, I guess.)

2)whether it would be better to hire a guide, or guide would not be necessary.

We would highly appreciate if you give us information on the above questions.

SA
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For trekking, a personal guide to be hired or not

Hi, we spent a couple of days a week ago, in CH (Tanah Rata at "Eight mentigi guesthouse" check out their webpage) We went on their (Cameron secrets)1 day tour which included a walk around the Mossy Forest on Mt Brinchang (also available on the morning tour.This was brilliant ,esp as our guide was a knowledgeable biologist.TJ tours also are recommended by other people.

There are also up to 14 trails thru rainforest and up hills in the area which you can do on own. In wet weather some could be quite slippery. We did trail 8 without a guide,which started in Tanah Rata about 20 mins walk from main centre. (take road just past Mardi on the right side.)Climbed up to Mt Berembun. The actual view from top was a disappointment but the steepish climb over tree roots, rocks and dirt was very picturesque with lovely tall trees, mossy logs, ferns, saw some squirrels, heard plenty of birds and insects,and saw pretty flowers.It took us 2.5 hours to top, then we took trail 7 back down-much easier and quicker.(1.25 hrs)

There is an easy and short walk to Paritt Falls . Lovely rainforest but spoilt somewhat by the rubbish in water around the falls.

Hope this helps a bit.

2. Re: For trekking, a personal guide to be hired or not

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 05, 2012