We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Hi, I am planning a trip for me and my boyfriend for 4 weeks (mid-Feb to mid-March 2011). We decided to spend 12-14 days in Malaysia and then the same in Cambodia. I know it is well ahead but I am trying to sort out the number of days we will need at each country so that we can buy the flight tickets at reasonable price.

We will flight to Kuala Lumpur, spend 5 days there with a trip to Batu caves and the Elephant sanctuary. Then we want to take a bus to Tanah Rata and spend one day and night there (maybe 2-surely want to visit the tea plantation and are considering a guided trek to see rafflesia-that is if end of February is he right season for that). Afterwards visit all of the three cave temples in Ipoh.

Then I am a bit stuck, ideally, we would like to use public transport to get from Ipoh to Penang but with a short stop in Kuala Kangsar (just a photo stop at Masjid Ubudiah) then continue to Penang. Is this part of the journey (Ipoh-Kuala Kangsar-Penang) doable in one day by buses, or is there a better alternative? We don't know where we will be staying in Penang yet.

It will be our very first time in both countries so we really want to see it all. I will be very grateful for your suggestions.

Thanks to all

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

you have to come down from CH to Ipoh really early, try to leave at 8-9am latest. Once you arrive in Ipoh bus station, charter a cab to bring you around and back to the bus station. You can take Seri Maju Bus from Medan gopeng to Kuala kangsar. journey time is around 1 hour or less. Seri Maju accepts Phone booking or you can buy tickets on the same day:

http://www.srimaju.com/index22df.html?c=coach

the bus will drop you either at the bus terminal or along the main road where KFC and the Store is at, depending on traffic. You have to charter a cab to bring you around because its very difficult to walk up the "hill" to get to the Istana, Ubudiah mosque and the Museum. cab is easier.

From KK bus terminal, take transnational to Butterworth, or look for another bus that goes to Penang. I think its best to buy the ticket as soon as you arrive in KK so you will know how much time you've got to have lunch and sightsee around KK. transnational has got a afternoon bus at 4pm going to butterworth/penang sentral. Journey time about 1.5 hours.

www.transnasional.com.my/destination.php…

Once you arrive at Penang sentral, take the RapidPenang buses into the island or wherever you want to head to in Penang: rapidpg.com.my/journey-planner/route-maps/

Or, you can rent a car in KL; drive up to CH by yourselves and around, down to Ipoh and KK using the highway. The KK attractions are quite far into the town off the highway, and then back to the same highway to Penang and return the car in Penang. Hawk rent a car has got offices in KL and penang.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Hi, it's good that you start to plan early.

From Cameron Highlands - Penang, with stops at Ipoh and Kuala Kangsar, meaning you'll need to take a bus from CH to Ipoh, follow by most likely a taxi to the cave temples, back to the Ipoh bus terminal, another bus to Kuala Kangsar, taxi to Masjid Ubudiah and back to the Kuala Kangsar bus terminal, then the bus to Penang.

The route is doable in one day, but you'll need to watch out for the bus schedule. Ideally would be a lot easier if you drive or hire a taxi.

If you intend to fly from Malaysia to Cambodia, I would like to point out that the direct flights operate from KL.. So, I'd suggest that you consider a reverse itinerary, where you connect and fly to Penang on arrival at KLIA, then travel (over land)back to KL to fly to Cambodia.

(tips: Air Asia flights from KL to Siem Reap/Phnom Penh are really cheap, assuming you have a return ticket to KL and if you are going to visit these two places, fly into SR and fly out from PP,)

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Thanks a lot for your advice. It is very helpfull.

You are right it might be better doing it in reverse order. I will definiteoy consider that. I was aware we would have to get back to KL for our flight to Cambodia, but having read about potential flight delays it might really be best to get to Penang first right after we arrive and then work our way down do KL.

It sounds like the journey from CH to Penang through Kuala Kangsar would be quite a lot for one day, so I will better reserve 2 days for this part of the trip and do transfer from CH to Ipoh and the three cave temples in one day, spend the night in Ipoh and get on a bus to Kuala Kangsar the next morning, see the mosque and then get to Penang.

Just one last question, is it easy to get one or two night accommodation at cities like Tanah Rata and Ipoh on the day of arrival or should we book early online prior to even flying to Malaysia? We are not looking for anything fancy or luxurious, just a clean bed and breakfast with hot water and electricity would be great.

Thanks again for your replies.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Hi, once you alight from the bus at tanah rata, you have quite a big range of accommodation. The most comfortable hotel would be the century pines behind the playground with rooms starting from RM 200 and above, else there is a Cool point hotel at the back of the bus station which offers basic but cheap accommodation. You can also cross the main road and walk along the row of restaurants (you will see starbucks right in the middle). Most rooms upstairs these restaurants/shops are rented out to tourists, they are cheap and basic, request to see the room before you take it and check for hygiene. You don't need reservations for the private rooms, but if you plan to stay at the century pines, best make a reservation because the hotel is usually very booked out by church groups.

Ipoh hotels generally do not need reservation and accept walk-in guests. BUT Ipoh is quite large "spread out", there is old town, greentown, new town, and many other areas and once you arrive at the bus station, you need to know where to head to for your hotel. So best decide on your hotel before heading there so you have an idea and know where its located.

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Hi, the planning does not seem to end anytime soon and I have come across another few questions where I would really appreciate your help.

Following your advice I have decided to do it the other way around and the itinerary is currently as follows: fly from Amsterdam to KL, and catch a flight from KL to Penang. Spend few days in Penang, few days in Langkawi, then travel by public transport from Penang via Ipoh to Tanah Rata and then continue to KL. Spend few days in KL and fly to Cambodia (Siem Reap) where we will spend the last 12 days of our holiday traveling around the country.

However, I am not quite sure if:

1) it is better to get from Penang to Ipoh (by bus or train), spend a night in Ipoh and visit the Sam Poh temple and Perak cave temple the following day and continue to Tanah Rata by bus the same day? Or is it better (cheaper and more comfortable) to get a bus from Penang straight to Tanah Rata, arrange for few nights stay at Tanah Rata and do the Ipoh temples as a day trip (presumably either by bus back to Ipoh and then hire a driver for the temples and get a bus back to Tanah Rata)? We would be staying in Tanah Rata for at least 1 night anyway since we want to visit the Sungei tea plantation, have lunch and afterwards get a bus down to KL.

And secondly, if we take a flight from Langkawi, which lands at Penang airport at 3.10pm, is there a chance of getting either to Ipoh or Tanah Rata (depending on the response to the 1st question) on the same day? Are there any direct buses from Penang airport to either Ipoh or Tanah Rata or what is the easiest way of getting there by public transport?

Or do we have to spend the night in Penang and set off in the morning?

We are trying to save on travel costs so looking for the cheaper alternatives.

Thanks a lot for all your help

Kladno, Czech...
Level Contributor
44 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

Oh, forgot to mention we will leave the visit of Kuala Kangsar out since it seems too complicated without a car.

7. Re: Getting from Ipoh to Penang with a stop at Kuala Kangsar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 24, 2011