We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perhention Islands and accomodation

Oslo
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Perhention Islands and accomodation

Hi!

My girlfriend and I are in our mid 30`s, and we are planing on a 9 days trip to Perhention Islands in july. And we`d like to stay at a place that:

is relatively close to several good restaurants

is relatively close to good bars

is on beach with a relaxed atmosphere (without a sandfly/jellyfish problem)

Has nice rooms with AC and sea view

is not too expensive (hopefully not more than 250 RM)

Hope you can help me out.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

Perhentian Islands is two islands, Kecil (the smaller) and Besar (the bigger). There are no roads on either island so there is not the culture of walking along and finding restaurants and bars. However, each bungalow operation has a restaurant and possibly some have a bar. Kecil has more of a party atmosphere and more a backpacker crowd on the main beach, although on the other side of Kecil is quieter but less access to other bungalow operations. Alcohol is expensive on both islands and some places don't serve it at all (it's a predominantly Muslim country), so many advise to bring your own from the mainland.

On Besar the nicest beach is at Perhentian Island Resort, but they are more expensive (the beach is accessible to everyone though). Coral Island View is within easy walking distance to PIR and other bungalow operations and has nice rooms, particularly the sea front ones.

Mamas Bungalows are more basic and have a relaxed atmosphere.

Singapore
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

Prehentian Is are pretty much for divers & backpackers alike. There are many bungalow or chalet operators provide basic services but surely not up to 4/5 stars standard. There are very few 4 or 5 resorts with own restaurant & bar serving pretty expensive food & alcoholic drinks. Very few bars (3 ???) or restaurants on the islands. It is a heaven for backpackers & divers who has limited budget and not spending big bucks on food & drinks. I think 9 days trip on the island itself is abit too much unless both of you & gf are divers and also like to explore the nature, love the sun, sand & sea. Nevertheless, it is a very nice islands away from the hectic city life.

Wishing you a good trip there...:)

san

san

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

Since your budget around RM250 per night,i would like to recommend you to stay at Coral View Island Resort ,Deluxe Sea View rooms are the right choice here.Here location are good because its between Perhentian Island Resort ,Mamas Chalet, Watercolours ,The Reef and other chalet.Much more easy to find restaurant here.But In Coral View ,they don't sell alcohol drinks,its mean no bar here .Its take 15 minutes cross to Perhentian Kecil Island by water taxi,fare around RM20 per way..Long Beach are prefer to cheaper area to stay,ever RM50 per night with bed and fan.Spending 9 days,its good time to spend here,there activities to do here such jungle trekking,scuba diving,sunbathing ,Fishing,snorkeling and relaxing out of world.

pulauperhentian.org/CoralViewIslandResort.ht…

MALAYSIA
Level Contributor
186 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

Try Shari-la Resort at Coral Bay, Perhentian Kecil. Cost about RM200 each.Great food along the beach. Room is new,aircond,has a secluded beach suitable for snorkelling & sun bathing. Internet connection was ok! Enjoy :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

I can second the poster's recommendation for Shari-La resort. I stayed there for 4 days earlier this month and had a great time.

The beach huts are massive, with aircon, TV (not that you'd be watching it), fridge and nice veranda. If you pay a bit more for a suite you can get one with a sea view. Whichever one you stay in it's only a 2min stroll down to "Romantic Beach" - by far the best beach on the island. Secluded, quiet, only a small handful of people sunbathing. One beach bar with options to hire snorkel gear (snorkelling here is good too, saw sharks and a turtle just swimming off the beach!)

Shari-La has a restaurant which is pretty decent too. It also faces Coral Beach which has more cafe's restaurants etc on it. Also some dive shops.

Oh and there is a paved path from Shari-La over to Long Beach (where you can find the diving schools and also the busier bars which are open late at night).

I would 100% recommend this hotel, it was perfect for us!

One thing to remember though, Perhentian Kecil is a very un-established island, it's not 5* so dont expect perfection. Our beach hut had no hot water (we didnt need it anyway), our flush broke a couple of times and on one occasion we had a funny smell coming from under our hut!! But it's an island which is very basic, that's what you expect when you come to Paradise.... i didnt want to stay in a 5* concrete resort where everything works perfectly anyway.

Oh and there are HUGE lizards... they look like kimodo dragons... just strolling through the resort whenever they feel like it!

Oslo
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

How is ' the reef'. I can't find reviews.

London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

how easy is it to just turn up and find accommodation?

London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

iforgot to add, am looking at going tomorrow, flying up from KL.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

You might find that some places have closed or that it is quiet as the monsoon will start soon and sea conditions can be rough, you'll have to see what it's like when you arrive at the port - so basically you should be able to get accommodation as it's pretty quiet this time o fyear.

London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Perhention Islands and accomodation

any recommendations? are there agencires by the port at kuala besut where you can book stuff? i guess you can hassle?