We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Perhentian Islands

Which Kota Bharu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North West London
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Perhentian Islands

We are a family of 5 (3 children, 9, 6 and 4) planning a month's holiday on Peninsular Malaysia August 2011.

We are planning on flying to Singapore beginning of Aug, acclimatising for 3 days before heading off to Malaysia staying in a mix of nice hotels and beach huts.

We've done this on our own before and have been happy not to book anywhere but it's a bit different with kids so we need some certainty (and advice).

I am struggling to find anywhere that is free in the Perhentian Islands. Are we likely to find availability if we just turn up? All the popular resorts on Trip Advisor as fully booked already.

Also, All hotels I've contacted elsewhere give me a price for a family of four, despite me explaining we are five. Are hotels happy to put a pull out bed in room?

We are planning on visiting Rawa, Tioman, Cherating, Tregannu, Peherntion Islands, Penang and ending at Langkawi.

Also - it will be Ramadan for the whole of August - is this why it's so busy? How will this affect our holiday?

Any personal experience of visiting these places with kids gratefully received.

Thank you.

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Perhentian Islands

Since you coming by large family,I would recommend you stay at Coral View island Resort .Since you coming on Peak Season,I strongly advise you to make advance booking rather walk in.At the end,you might sleep out side at beaches.Extra bed are require since the Family room only have limited bed ( 1 Double bed + 1 Single bed )

pulauperhentian.org/CoralViewIslandResort.ht…

If you want come during End of August ,Its end of Ramadan.All rooms at Perhentian island might full book because Hari Raya Aidilfitri ( Public Holiday ) starting 25th August till 2nd September.If you come early,everything should fine.

Visiting Perhentian Island Kecil and Snorkeling trips are recommended.

mellbourne
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Perhentian Islands

Hi

We are a couple travelling to the pehentian islands in late May for a week.

We have booked into Tuna Bay resort on Besarbut we are not sure if this a good plan - is it better to stay on Kecil? Has anyone stayed at Tuna Bay recently ? We are looking for something pretty laid back and peaceful with a good beach of course! We would love it to be clean but if simple that is fine too.

be great to hear your thoughts

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,374 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Perhentian Islands

I wouldn't just turn up with kids as you are likely to be disappointed. We stayed at Coral View Island Resort as suggested above and it is a nice little resort, good with kids, easy walk to the beautiful beach in front of Perhentian Island Resort and along the beach to other bungalow operators for a variation in food.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Perhentian Islands

Islands such as Perhentians aren't busy just because is Ramadan, they are also busy because August is peak season for the east coast islands as the weather is generally at its best around this time of year.

Perhentian islands especially Kecil, will be full of European and also many Australian tourists. We went in August for 2 weeks during Ramadan and it was no problem, still had a great holiday.

Melaka, Malaysia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Perhentian Islands

Did anybody know about weather at Perhentian now because I'll be there by this coming weekend. according to the forecast it's not so nice.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,374 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Perhentian Islands

This time of year is still monsoon in Perhentian so you might still get some bad weather. After April it seems to get better.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Perhentian Islands

Forecasts in the tropics are notoriously inaccurate.

Don't discount what the forecast says, however it might turn out to be OK.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,374 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Perhentian Islands

I did have a look on the Malaysian Meteorological Department website and the weather actually looked very good, so I shouldn't worry.

9. Re: Perhentian Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, March 11, 2013