We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spiders!!

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
spiders!!

I'm scared of spiders. Even small ones we get here in UK. It may sound funny to people who aren't bothered by them, but trust me I'm petrified of them.

I am on my honeymoon with my (then) wife at The Andaman in Langkawi for 8 nights. Although the fact that the hotel is located in Rainforest is one of the major attractions, I can't help worrying about the spiders I'm likely to encounter there.

I'm considering hypnotherapy to vercome my fear, as the last thing I want is to ruin our honeymoon.

Any info on what spiders I'll see/ their size/ where etc will be of great help.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: spiders!!

I don't like anything that has more than 4 legs and when I first went I was terrified. Don't worry you don't see any.... only framed in the shops (Now I ask you who would want to frame a beetle or a scorpian and put it on the wall) I have never seen any round the coastal areas or up the cable car but I havent tried the rain forest (guess I am a coward - what I don't know can't hurt me)

Hotels are spotless. The Anderman will spoil and pamper you to death and there will be nothing crawling up in their hotel... it wouldn't dare.

The only things you will see are tiny little white crabs scurrying about on the sand, monkeys and the occaisional monitor lizard walking about.

The Anderman has it'e own Spa's you can have any type of massage. They have little rooms in the grounds. Gym. Library, they will do you a lovely romantic meal set out on the beach which should br really romantic for your honeymoon - book one and surprise your new wife, bet she will be delighted to find you are a romantic at heart.

I don't need to say have a good time... you will... the Anderman is a wonderful start to your married life... enjoy it

Leigh

US
Level Contributor
427 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: spiders!!

spiders are really small in malaysia...so far I've seen. Not that many. I live here. what is more scary to me are lizards. Though if you are in a hotel, they are quite decent to get rid of them. Not to worry. Mosquitos are more of a problem.

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: spiders!!

just want to say a 'ta very much) to the replies from you both (leigh and 'hulahoop'). Big step towards putting my mind at ease.

The mad thing is, even though I'm scared of spiders they fascinate me all the same, and strange though is seems I'm not in the least bit worried about lizards, scorpions etc. It's just spiders (even tiny ones any bigger than a money spider!). And considering I'm 6ft 2 and built like a tank It's always been a comical trait of mine amongst my friends.

Guess it's something instilled in me from my mum, from when I was little.

One thing though - what's the situation regarding jabs/injections etc before we go? I've read all sorts of conflicting advice - obviously malaria being the biggest concern.

On the hotel side of things though - I'm sure the Andaman will be great. We are both SO looking forward to it. Cheers for your replies again!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spiders!!

Check with your doctors surgery. I had lots of jabs the first time I went but when I took my daughter 3 months later we went to the same doctors surgery and the nurse brought up Malaysia on the computor and said no jabs were needed unless you were coming from or via a country theat had yellow fever or any other contagious outbreaks.

Take plenty of mosquito repelliant though and maybe one of those battery operated ones for the room if you want to sit on your veranda (Plugs are same as ours though so if you get one with round pins (Asda 1.00) take adaptor)

Everything the same as England as far as driving is concerned as well- just take your licence - only one roundabout on the island and about 8 sets of traffic lights - mopeds galore, whole families sit on one so don't be alarmed if you see a woman, shopping and her children all on the same moped........

If you think of anything else you want to know just ask... I love Langkawi and can chat about the place all day

All the best to you both for the future

Leigh.

P.S. As far as phobia's are concerned.... size isn't everything...

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: spiders!!

It is Leigh again.

Check out Langkawitravelnet (you should be able to get it on your search engine. It comes up with bright red pages. It tells you everything about Langkawi including lots of pictures, places of interest, up to date news and if you click on hotels you can select Anderman and see its facilities, photographa of the rooms, bars etc and good descriptions of everything.

Everything you need to know is on that site. If for any reason you cant find it send me your email - it is on my favourites and I can send a link to you.

Leigh.laycock@ntlworld.com

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: spiders!!

Leigh,

Sounds like your second visit to the doctors was a distinct case of 'computer sez no' (aka Little Britain).

Cheers for the tips. Your description of Malays on their mopeds reminds me fondly of when I used to play 'Buckaroo' when I was 7. Think I can see a world record attempt coming on...

:-)

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: spiders!!

Hi guys. All your postings have tickled me :-) I don't have a problem with spiders, but I despise fish :-( I love eating them but there's no way you'll get me swimming with them.... Strange I know as we're coming to Langkawi in May but it's a phobia I've had all my life. I'm not so keen on lizards too but I can just about cope with them. I dream about coming there to snorkle but I'm just too scared. I visited the Sea Life Centre in Langkawi 3 years ago (honeymoon to Penang, day trip to Langkawi, that's why we're coming back). As long as they're in a tank and can't get out them I'm happy!! Never saw any spiders in Penang just lots of lizards and rats (yes, we ate in a dodgy beach cafe but it was worth it, as long as you ignored the rats overhead...) Ah, now I know why they had lots of cats!!

Enjoy your hols. Malaysia is great. Can't wait for May 29th :-))

Clare

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spiders!!

We've just returned from the Andaman where we stayed for 9 nights. We didn't see a single spider either in the hotel or in the rainforest or on any of our trips. Each room in the Andaman is equipped with a very effective insect spray killer, all mosquito coils and tablets are also provided so dont bother bringing them. The room info also says that if you do see any creatures in your room you can ring housekeeping and they will remove them for you without hurting them. So dont worry about spiders. Also the rooms have adaptors so you dont need to bring them either. Have a great time

Wrexham, Wales
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: spiders!!

thanks for the reply posts - glad to see The Andaman is held in such high esteem - really looking forward to it (obviously because it is our honeymoon, but also just in a 'wonderful holiday' way too)

With regards to Mosquitos - what is the best repellent to take with us (to use on day trips etc) - we are obviously a bit hesitant on taking malaria tablets as we've heard awful rumours of side effects. Has anyone got any advice on this?

To be honest the spiders issue has been laid to rest in my mind now. Still having bad dreams about the bloody eight legged/eyed things thought - don't think that will change!

Now as long as I don't get stung by a whopping big jellyfish or something...

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
136 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: spiders!!

My surgery said Langkawi wasn't a malaria area so tablets weren't needed. Must say i never saw any mosquitos at the Andaman. I am VERY allergic to mosquito bites so I always wear a repellent at night. doesn't smell too good but you dont get bitten. I just sprayed on Autan and that did the trick. The only place I did get bitten was at the Snake Sanctuary and I think that was flies. The gift shop at the Andaman has a good selection of insect repellant and it is cheaper there than in the UK. Also their high factor sunscreen was a very good buy. The sun is quite ferocious and my husband got burned to a crisp while lying in the shade!!!! so beware.

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi