We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi weather in the end of january

uk
1 post
Save Topic
Langkawi weather in the end of january

Hello, i would like to go to Langkawi island 20 of january for 4 weeks.could some one please tell me how will be the weather that time? or i should go later? is the weather dry that time? thanks for the answears:)

Langkawi
Level Contributor
294 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

Hi there,

January is one of the best bets (months) in getting clear and hot sunny weather.

Tropic rains come and go, it might be good to experience some rains to cool things down as most of Jan have been scorching hot.

so far.

Hope u enjoy your stay. It is off peak now and good month to own a beach....-:)

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

enrika&gabor,

I agree with kawisun about jan/feb being the best months, the sun can be really scorching. Of course Langkawi being in the tropics, there can be no guarentee that it will not rain at some point in your four week visit.

Providing it does not rain for very long (extremely unlikely) most people actually enjoy it if there is a refreshing shower, it helps to lower the humidity and is far more comfortable after days of constant heat.

If you opt to go later I think you will up the odds and the likelyhood of seeing rain.

Keep an eye on kawisun '' Weather Update'' thread and you'll have a good idea of what to expect on arrival.

Hot and humid - no doubt !

Geneva
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

I'm also going to Malaysia in the second half of January - I've got about 10 days, and would love to do some diving and windsurfing. I hear it's monsoon season on the east coast right now though - where should I be thinking about going? If there is some budget accomodation it'd be all the better..

spiff

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

spiff,

Get yourself up yo Thailand and don't waste your time. Langkawi waters are murky to say the least.

Do yourself a favour !

Adelaide
Level Contributor
41 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

Robelyn,

I know that you are a bit upset about threads being removed as evidenced in you more recent post, but I would have thought that the local expert for Langkawi would be a little more positive about the island !

This forum has been very useful for me in planning my trip to Langkawi in 2 weeks and I think that all TA members deserve as much good advice as possible.

SB

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

SJ Thank you for saying what all of us have been thinking.

Melaka, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Melaka
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

Hi guys,

Thanks for saying something about Robelyn's recent replies. I think it has happened for a while she is not happy with Langkawi which is fine but being a local expert can be misleading.

I'm not a die hard promoter of Malaysia tourism but I disagree with her saying that Langkawi sea is murkier than Phuket or Koh Samui.

To be honest, the best diving spot this time of the year in Thailand and Malaysia is around the Andaman sea. You can hardly do diving offshore in Phuket (except in Racha Noi I think) , Langkawi nor Koh Samui. You must go to the smaller islands such as Phi Phi, Pulau Payar, Tarutau, Similan Islands for good diving.

In Langkawi, there are organised tours to Pulau Payar and Tarutau (Thailand, there will be passport check ).

For budget accommodation, stay in Pantai Cenang's hotel like Malibest, Beach Garden Resort and Sunset Beach Resort. That's all the good ones I know, :-P

Langkawi is a laid back island, however, I wonder one would like to spend 4 weeks there! Thai islands have more night life and shopping as they are more tourist oriented than village like Langkawi where natives have lived the same way for hundreds of years. Tourism was just introduced about 15 years ago!

Istanbul, Turkey
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

Hi

I'm going to Langkawi next month. Primarily for diving. How many days diving do you think Langkawi is worth and where should I go next (in Malaysia or Thailand)? Also Sunset Beach Resort or Malibest Resort - which would you recommend?

North England
Level Contributor
213 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

These weather links:

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/…

www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=2355

both show rain (and quite a lot of it) over the next 5 days. How can they get it so wrong??

Los Angeles
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi weather in the end of january

We are planning on going to Langkawi in May for 4-5 nights as part of our honeymoon. How is the weather then? We are trying to decide between The Datai and the Four Seasons. Any thoughts?

Also, it is not easy to get there. We might have to stop in SIngapore. Any nice beach resorts there?