We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My wonderful Langkawi

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
My wonderful Langkawi

We enjoyed ourselves very much. It was a quiet holiday for us to de-stress of course so we didnt do too much!

Car hire:

We hired a car for a day, a proton wira, air-cond, automatic RM70. Boy, wasn't it scratched when we got it! Out comes the camera for some snap shots just in case. Seems like a lot of people in Langkawi and KL love to have scratched & dented cars, seems to be norm.*shocked*

Rewind back: We decided to rent the car from the airport since we read somewhere that the cars there were newer. Around 4pm, we took a cab from the hotel to the airport. Walked all over the airport, now where was the car hire that we saw when we arrived? they have all disappeared! A guy came up and signalled us to follow him, follow him we did... back through the custom (there was a custom officer there who let us thru)!!! The car hire was just outside the baggage collection, aha that was where we first saw it. Now I havent come across another airport that lets you back through the custom and on a different day. LOL. wink wink. Get my drift? I am not going into details on this one!

The day with the car:

The cable car was closed when we got there, maybe due to the rain. Stayed most of the time at the Pelangi resort, the pool which was great. Kuah town was uneventful, take it or leave it I say, bought a bag pack there. It was overcast most days, thats the way we like it. We still got burned though.

Meals and the sea:

Best meal for us: the BBQ dinner at the Pelangi and the Garden Beach Restaurant next door. Lunch at the Andaman was good, a tad expensive but we were right in the midst of rainforest and secluded beach and it was raining, I know it sounds bizarre, but it was nice experience!!! Never experienced this before. Big rain drops out of leaves onto our cafe table (but not enough to wet us) and hearing the rush of waves. Devine!

Massage:

Now where are the beach massage people like those you see in Thailand, Bali. Obviously not in Langkawi! Not when I needed one anyway. LOL

A go away present:

Have to say, I got bitten quite a bit by mosquitoes, not sure it happened in KL or Langkawi. At least, one could say I brought back some souvenier :(!

Lastly: apologise for any typos /spellings

Malaysia, USA
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

I think you got exact that what makes Langkawi so unique.

I call it "simplicity".

Getting back through the customs. Scratched cars. A simple not spectacular town.

At the same time you can have first class meals in a tropical nature environment.

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Yes InvalidResponse, that sums it up. Left out a few minor things:

Had coffee at the Datai. Very expensive and sorry to say the coffee was not drinkable! Found the Dome cafe In KL to have the best coffee. In fact, a few other places in KL had acceptable coffee to my taste. Another place was the La de bode.. sorry forgot the Spanish sounding name it was in an area called Bangsar.

I must have had such a carefree time that I forgot to use insects repellent! My fault.

Will I come back to Langkawi again?

If I am looking for a nice and quiet place to destress, yes for sure.

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Oh something else, very important too, haha.

beer RM1.90, Wow how about that???!!!!!

in KL supermart around RM5.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

beachnjazz,

If you flew into Langkawi on a domestic from KL I'd be amazed if there where any customs guys there.

They are only interested when you fly out, for obvious reasons. Even thats a bit half hearted. Sleepy n simple Langkawi !

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Beachnjazz

Glad to hear you enjoyed your holiday on Langkawi.We are staying at Pelangi Beach Hotel in October.Just wondering if you are going to do a Pelangi Review?Or if you have any reccomendations.

Regards Tracy

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Beachnjazz… nice report, glad you had a good time. That is pretty weird with the airport, especially in the current security conscious climate. I’m the same as you with coffee… The Dome is about as good as it gets. However, next time you’re in KL you should try my favourite place. You know The Dome at Lot10, well cross over the road to Sungei Wang plaza, and walk along in the direction of BB Plaza… and right there on the sidewalk there is a little kiosk with seating and parasols (they sell mainly icecream and light snacks) and LAVAZZA coffee. Best cup of coffee in KL that I have found till now!

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Just don't try the tea, so hot and so indian/malay sweet. Could try the weak chinese stuff, not bad, bit bland and boring.

Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

Robelyn,

I have to say on arriving, I was in top notch holiday mood (!) so I have to say I couldnt remember if there were customs into Langkawi. When we were led back into customs just for the car hire, this custom officer standing next to the xray machine just signalled us to go thru without checking our backpack. This is what I found quite strange. I think the whole situation can be avoided if the car hire companies were *outside* the customs area, say in the arrival hall. Not sure why this set up.

Having said that and this is a side step on this topic, when we went thru KL customs back to Australia, the customs picked up on a nail clipper (via their xray) I had inadvertendly left in my handbag.Also a plastic long tooth comb and the officer was proding the tooth to see if it was sharp. This I found very reassuring. They are doing their job as expected.

Tracy,

I will prepare a review on the Pelangi over the next day once I gather all my thoughts.

M2006,

Yes I will *Definitely* go back to KL again, I love the shopping! I shall take up on your tip to do coffee, just hope I can find the place! maybe just follow the smell. haha.

LAVAZZA coffee seems to be very popular in Malaysia, we were hanging out for good coffee in Langkawi and after the 3rd day, we found this big eatery not far from the Pelangi that had a shiny coffee making gizmo. Very impressive, one wouldnt miss it from the street so we decided to go there one morning for brekkie. Oh no, they ran out of coffee beans, and we were one of the first customers like 8 am in the morning. Thats one of the ironies of the laidback attitude in Langkawi that is attractive. "No missy, why not drink tea, drink tea, good". Oh, try telling that to 2 coffee addicts and first thing in the morning at that. Not going to work. LOL.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

I'd say they are very thorough at KLIA when it come to security, but the guys in Langkawi just get out of bed and jump on the moped/scooter for nasi lamak, into the airport and wonder what to do for the rest of the day ! After all, it is to hot to stand up ! LOL

Coffee in Langkawi ....... well they just open a Starbucks ..... is there any hope ? Well at least you can take your laptop/notebook now !

Look forward to your Pelangi report.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My wonderful Langkawi

why should anyone settle for "branded" coffee, when the best coffee in the world is nescafe that they make at the mamak stalls? Nescafe tarik satu, kurang manis, kow kow.

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi