We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi visit

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
11 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi visit

Firstly, must thank everyone who has contributed to this forum and provided such information enbaling us first timers to overcome their fears and hesitation. My queries are:

I have shortliested two budget hotels. Both are in the Kuah area.

1) I would like to complete the Island hopping and the Mangrove tour in one day. Is it feasible ?

Also, one clarification- Is Kilim Geoforest Park the same as the Mangrove.

2) Please suggest how to avail these tours. There will be only two of us, so, looking for budget/sharing options in these tours.

3) Also, what are the local must-haves in the food, where to have. How far will be Siti Fatimah from the hotels

4) From Langkawi, we have to go to Penang. Initially had thought of availing the ferry services, but on reading the negative views in this forum, have decided against it. What will be an economical way to go to Penang.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,236 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi visit

Hi SDG

You may want to look at alternative budget hotels in Pantai Cenang. Kuah is not a very interesting place for tourists and there is no beach there. Pantai Cenang is the main tourist area on the island with lots of shops and restaurants.

Yes, Kilim Geopark and the mangroves are the same. There are lots of places where you can book island hopping tours in Pantai Cenang. These tours are always shared with lots of other people and usually last around 3/4 hours.

For a good and informative mangrove tour you need to book with a reputable company. A good tour usually goes early morning and lasts around 5 hours. Alternatively you could take a taxi to Kilim jetty and join one of the tours leaving from there. These are very much whistle stop tours and you will be rushed around from place to place and not learn anything about the flora and fauna of this beautiful area.

To get from Langkawi to Penang without using the ferry you are going to have to fly unless you are a good swimmer lol. Air Asia usually do cheap flights. Google them and their flight schedules.

Enjoy

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi visit

Lesley is correct but here my advise for Penang:

I hate both, the plane and the ferry so this is what I do:

I take the ferry to Kuala Perlis and then a taxi or I rent a car.

There are cheap buses as well, but I am a difficult customer: I hate the bus as well...

The journey all together take 4 hrs plus. Sure, I avoid rush hrs and school holidays or other major events

Eva

3. Re: Langkawi visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 18, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi