We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

Brisbane
Level Contributor
157 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

Hi

My sister and I are going on holidays over Christmas (leaving Christmas day). Just need to decide where! We would like to go to KL as we have not been before, and thought we'd hit a beach for a week too. I've been to Penang before, so thought we'd give Langkawi a go. My only concern is being hotel bound. What I mean is in Penang we would hang by the pool all day and then in the evening go to the night markets and hawker stalls for dinner. Is there something like this in Langkawi? I don't want to be stuck eating at the hotel every night. Are there market stalls, hawker stalls etc and if so, where is the best place to stay for this?

Thanks

Mel

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

Hi

For what you want you would be better staying in Pantai Cenang or Pantai Tengah which are the main tourist spots on the island where there is lots of restaurants, shops and bars.

Not sure of your budget but look at such places as Meritius, Casa del Mar, Frangipani, Holiday Villa, Federal Villa or for a really lovely place in that area, Ambong-Ambong.

The island will be busy at that time of year so best to book as soon as you can.

Lesley

Kuala Lumpur...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

Hey Mel1707,

I am opinionising as a citizen of Malaysia staying in Kuala Lumpur. What are your intentions of this visit?

For a a beach stay? if that is your intentions i would suggest somewhere else such as Pulau Redang or Pulau Perhentian. Penang is more generalised as it is a place of rich history, beaches and pubs,bars and clubs. Langkawi is good too. Pantai Tengah would be the place to visit in langkawi. If you decide to go to Langkawi, I would highly recommend ocean residence : http://www.theoceanresidence.com/rooms.php for accommodation as prices are better there and it has all neccesary facilities. There are two swimming pools there. I hoped this has helped. ill be more then happy to answer any questions.

Cole

driveslowtypefast
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

Hi, just wanted to chime in looking for something similar to Mell. My wife and I have been to Penang twice and loved staying on the beach and relaxing, but we also love searching for the best local foods. Each of our family members are always wanting to take us to their favourite spots to eat.

We are going back to Penang but thinking of spending a few days in Langkawi to see something different. We like nice pools and beach and interesting activities, not so much sight seeing temples or tourist spots.

If we take Cole's advice and look into the hotels (Meritius, Casa del Mar, Frangipani, Holiday Villa, Federal Villa or for a really lovely place in that area, Ambong-Ambong), how far are we from markets and hawker stalls and restaurants? Can we bike or walk? Any hotels have free bike rental?

Of all the hotels, any specific recommendations or are they pretty much all priced accordingly?

4. Re: Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, July 31, 2014
5. Re: Not sure ..Langkawi vs Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 02, 2015