We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

palo alto
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

My eight-year-old daughter and I had a wonderful time in Koh Tao, we were able to get up in the morning and roll straight into the coral. With the Thai coup (I know, it''s not affecting tourist areas, but my daughter's dad is anxious) I'm looking to reproduce that in Malaysia.

The Perhentians look to have the best snorkeling, but otherwise there isn't much to do. Is Langwaki able to provide a place where I can get up and go straight into the water and see coral and fishes? It clearly has the rest: trekking with elephants and other fun events for kids.

Or is Langkawi like Koh Samui: too destroyed by tourists to offer decent snorkeling?

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Dev's Adventure Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Langkawi Mangrove Tour - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

If you want to snorkel direct from the beach then the Perhentians will be perfect.( March - October). There is no coral around Langkawi. You would need to go on a day excursion to Palau Payer for snorkelling.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

and the 'elephant trekking' is a single, lonely elephant. there are serious animal welfare issues with this 'attraction'. and it looks about as exciting as watching paint dry.

instead of 'trying to replicate' your previous holidays - why not look to see what langkawi really has to offer? mangrove tours, island hopping, beautiful birds, monkeys, a tropical fruit farm tour, these are just a few of the options.

there are a few areas of embryonic reef, but certainly not the sort of reef you can snorkel over.

palo alto
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

I'm open to doing whatever fun things Langwaki has to offer.. but gotta have snorkeling. We have time to do both Perhentians and Langkawi. I love to hear what is hte best... because I agree about the elephant situation We visited an elephant rescue place in thialand and my daughter loved it.

I have found one ray of hope: Tanjung Rhu Breach might have an island you wan walk to in low tide, boat to otherwise that has ok snorkling. This page looks very useful www.langkawi-insight.com/langkawi_000086.htm

Edited: 7:31 pm, June 19, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Tanjung Rhu Resort
Tanjung Rhu Resort
1,454 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
11,632 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

Langkawi has jellyfish which you do not want to expose your daughter to.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

good luck with that. everywhere has jellyfish.

palo alto
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

It's clear some places and some times of year are worse for the jellies. What I've read is that June/July is lower risk (not risk free.) As well, the pernehetians have almost no risk as opposed to Langkawi. We'll talk to our hotel person, and stock up on vinegar.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
7. Re: Is there any good snorkeling from hotel beach in Langwaki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 22, 2015