We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

Lisbon, Portugal
2 posts
Save Topic
Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

Hi! i would like to know how is the jellyfish and the sea lice situation in langkawi. i have a friend that said that you cant swin in the sea because of sea lice and jellyfish. is that true? Please Awnser. and how is the beach of the four seasons hotel? Thanks!

Lisbon, Portugal
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

Also, i have seen videos, and there is no one at the beach. and if there are people at the beach, there is no one in the sea. THANKS!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

Hi

The beach at Four Seasons is lovely but most of the guests who stay there prefer to use the pools instead.

During my stay on the island I swim in the sea almost every day and never have any problems. However, I would not swim in the Pantai Cenang area. More because I do not want to get knocked in the head by a jet ski rather than jelly fish.

Lesley

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

To give the beach boys credit, they do seem to have sorted out the "launching areas" for the jet skis at Pantai Cenang... much safer than it was in July and Decembet 2012. .... Having said that I still wish they were banned!

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

didn't look that safe from yellow cafe last wednesday, Rawtalent. some riders, showing off, way too close to swimmers.

about the four seasons - we go out to that area to swim to avoid the problem of sea-jellies. but sea-lice are everywhere. however, if you feel them, just move a few yards away. they tend to congregate in certain areas and not move about. their stings seldom trouble anyone after they leave the water. actually, i am not sure they are 'sea-lice' - i have never been able to see them, unlike the sea-lice i have encountered in the black sea, which are clearly visible.

this year, i decided to swim in a rash vest and running tights, which made me feel a lot safer. except i had to buy new tights, having lost a pair overboard on a trip. :-(

North East England...
Level Contributor
516 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

We read all these posts prior to our trip in January/February this year and thought we were going to the most dreadful place. However, when we arrived we loved Langkawi, didn't see any jellyfish or sea lice, swam everyday in the sea. It's such a lovely laid back atmosphere it was fab. The island is probably one of only about 4 places in mayalsia we'd go back to. We traveled around for a month independently.

The only quibble I'd have is the jet skis as said previously. You think you've found a quiet spot and lo and behold, up goes a gazebo, out come more jet skis! :/ I'm not sure they can be making a profit there's so many of them just sitting on the beach.

Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

I went at the beginning of February with my family, and we had issues with "sea lice" (Note: I know they're not actually sea lice since those affect fish, but it makes it easier for the post. The real term is Seabather's Eruption: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seabather%27s_eruption). My family members got used to the weird stinging sensation from microscopic organisms that you can't see. I only the other hand, have unfortunately sensitive skin. I never really got used to the weird stinging and ended up breaking out in an extremely itchy rash all over my body that didn't get better until I was in Thailand and used cream on it.

Most people seemed fine, and a lot of people were in the water a lot of the time (I was not at the Four Seasons Hotel). It seems to vary from person to person.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
586 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

Hi,

Many resorts like Frangipani, Holiday Villa on Pentai Tengah do display prominently the Jellyfish warnings on the beach. I swam a little in Tengah and Cenang, it was all clear but the doubt is always in mind.

Many People were swimming boldly very early in the morning with their kids as well. Seems Jellyfish warning increases as the day progresses. I am still confused whether they are there or not as never saw or heard any body complaining during my stay.

8. Re: Jellyfish And Sea Lice In Langkawi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015