We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying alcohol near the Airport

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Buying alcohol near the Airport

We plan to get a taxi at the airport to take us to The Andaman when we arrive. As I know the hotel is very remote we would like to buy a couple of bottles of wine to take with us for the odd drink on the balcony ! Is there somewhere near the airport to buy this and can we get the taxi driver to take us (or get before we pick up the taxi?)

I know the taxi rates are fixed, but is it usual to tip the driver, and if so, how much?

Many thanks for any info.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi,

guess could stop by the duty free shops at Underwater World- Pantai Cenang.

Not usual to tip the driver.

You buy the taxi voucher at a kiosk just before you exit the terminal, you could discuss with the driver,then before going to Andaman, you wish to drop into Underwater World first.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi

There is a large supermarket just outside the airport at Padang Matsirat and I always forget the name of it!! It is like a big warehouse and I am sure the taxi driver will know which one it is. You can ask to be dropped off there to stock up on alcohol. The driver will wait for you. Make sure you have some cash with you though.

Lesley

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi again

Alternatively, and a much easier option, is just to turn right when you come out of arrivals and walk down to the duty free shop and buy some there before you go to the taxi booking desk. Langkawi airport is fairly small and nothing is much of a walk.

This option will save you some hassle when you have just arrived and the prices at duty free will be relatively the same as anywhere else.

Lesley

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi Lesley

That sounds the easiest option! Many thanks for your help.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

the warehouse in padang matsirat is called teow soon huat, i think. they have a good selection of wines: they are located in a climate-contolled room at the centre of the sprawling shop floor. prices are very good. you can also pick up other essentials - snacks, mosquito repellant, washing detergent, soft drinks and mixers, etc.

by contrast, the duty-free store in the airport is over priced and understocked.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Thanks for this. Will then perhaps get the taxi driver to stop and wait for us there.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

don't be put of by the look of it! this is a 'pile 'em high, sell 'em cheap' place. think kwiksave with smelly dried fish, lol. but the wines and spirits are excellent, and kept in good condition.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi

By contrast I do not find the duty free shop at the airport more expensive. The prices there are at least comparable to the other duty free outlets on the island.

Lesley

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Thanks everyone, most helpful. I think on balance it would be easier just to use the airport.... We don't want much, just something to drink on the balcony once in a while, hopefully watching a nice sunset! Many thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying alcohol near the Airport

Hi

You will certainly love the Andaman and you must go to Jala Restaurant there - great food!

Lesley

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi