We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on visiting Langkawi

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Advice on visiting Langkawi

Dear Tripadvisor forum,

Firstly I would just like to say hello, and how are you! My name is Haider and I currently live in Perth, Australia. My partner and myself are planning a getaway holiday to Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi. Just for your information my partner and myself are still in our early 20's. I have visited Kuala Lumpur numerous times, but however, I have never visited Langkawi - so my knowledge of the area is very poor.. My partner and myself will be planning to stay at the Casa Del Mar for 5 nights in December. I have heard great things about this place, what is your opinion on this resort, and do you think there are any others around this price range that we should consider? From my little knowledge of Langkawi the only activities that I currently have in mind are; the marine park snorkeling tour, eagle square and cable carts, jetskii tours and possibly a boat cruise if we can find a good one. Do you have any recommendations and advice in regards to; must see/visit places, tours and cruises, restaurants/bars and hotel/resorts. I really appreciate your time for reading this and I am looking forward to hearing from you! Thank you for your help :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on visiting Langkawi

Hi

Casa del Mar is a lovely boutique hotel which does get booked up very quickly so the sooner you can try to book, the better. It could be that it is already fully booked for December now as this is peak season.

One trip you must do is a mangrove tour with one of the eco-friendly companies such as Dev's Adventure Tours www.langkawi-nature.com All the guides at Dev's are fully trained and you will learn so much about the flora and fauna of the island and see lots of amazing wildlife.

For boat cruises, Rampant Sailing and Damai Indah are both excellent and you can find further details under the tab at the top of the page marked "Things to Do".

Other than that, the cable car is probably the main attraction on the island. For snorkelling companies both East Marine Divers and Langkawi Coral are good.

Come back if you need further information.

Lesley

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
90 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on visiting Langkawi

My favourite activity was the mangrove tour (would also recommend the same company as Steady). I would go for:

i) Island Hopping (Lake of Pregnant Maiden etc.)

ii) Sailing (same as Steady suggested)

iii) Cable Car

iv) Jet Ski Tour (but you could kill 2 birds with one stone by visiting some islands, thereby cancelling the Island Hopping trip)

v) Sunset cocktails at Four Seasons

vi) and of course, the mangrove tour

I would skip the eagle square; it's a waste of time and there's nothing there either than a statue of an eagle. I would also skip snorkelling simply because there isn't very much to see. You have to understand that Langkawi is lovely not because of the water quality, marine life or beaches. It's lovely because it's laidback and because of the mangroves, forests etc. in combination with the beach.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on visiting Langkawi

my list would also start wih dev's adventure tours - they also do kayaking in the mangrove and a cycle tour in the countryside for a change of pace. i also enjoy rampant sailing's day out on the water which includes an island nature walk and a very good lunch.

i would add hiring a car and driving up gunung raya - the highest point of the island. stunning views and plenty of birds/animals to see on the way if you drive very slowly. you can take a taxi tour, but they go to fast, in my opinion.

4. Re: Advice on visiting Langkawi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi