We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Hi, my family of five (2A, 2C aged 7 & 8 & 1 infant) will be traveling from Langkawi to Penang in October. Would you recommend the ferry or to fly. The ferry will cost us $86 and flying $140. My husband wants to cheaper option of the ferry but after reading some reviews I'm terrified of having 3 kids & 1 mum vomiting. Really how bad is the ferry?

Is Firefly or AirAsia the best?

Thanks

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Hi

If I were you I would opt to fly - let hubby go on the ferry if he wants....!!

From what I have heard the ferry can be a bit of a nightmare. People are crowded on, luggage is piled up in the exits so in an emergency you could not get off, sometimes the sea can be quite rough so all in all it could be an horrendous 3 hours as opposed to a quite comfortable 30 mins by air.

Lesley

MALAYSIA
Level Contributor
185 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Steady is right, 1 of my friend vommited once we reached the jetty in Penang. I would always opt to fly

London
Level Contributor
752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Yes deffo fly. Used the ferry service to get to pulau, which is the same ferry between Penang and langkawi. It's not an open ferry but more of a plane arrangement. It can be a very long journey. Hot and bothered and not much let stretch space.

To cap it off when we flew flireflyz (highly recommended) our flight was delayed because of bad weather in langkawi. Two points - it was much better to be delayed in an airport with space and facilities; and I would have hated to have been on that ferry for 3 hours in that weather.

Edited: 7:13 am, July 21, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Thanks everyone, flying it is. Now to book..... Firefly or airasia???

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

I know you have already made up your mind, but I would opt for flying. The ferry ride (and I have done it several times) is not a fabulous one at all!!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,680 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Hi

Firefly or AirAsia......? For a 30 min flight only - chose whichever is the cheapest.

Lesley

London
Level Contributor
752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

As mentioned used firefly. Check in, boarding etc was efficient. What I will say is we had good experience of customer service.

Our check in baggage was one item over. Check in agent pointed this out and then proactively spotted that one bag could fit as cabin baggage. So advised we could do that when she could have as easily charged us instead.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,005 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

Dear Lou Bell.

There is another, option I am actually going to take in 2 days time.

As I will arrive Penang later in the afternoon by plane there is no connection flight to Langkawi.

I take a taxi from the airport, over the bridge to Kuala Perlis. Then take the short ferry to Langkawi. I don't know yet how much it will be but I will update you once I have done it. But I estimate 150 RM

Eva

9. Re: Travelling to Penang - ferry or fly????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi