We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

Hello fello Aussies!

I found it difficult to get accurate info on how to go about getting married in Langkawi so I thought I might help any future peeps wanting to do it.

Firstly - It's Beautiful there! - there is a bit of rubbish on the island but its still very lovely, we got married in June 2013 at the Sheraton Beach Resort (there are two Sheraton's and this is the nicer one) on a little patch of beach out the front - it was Gorgeous!

So - before you start - contact Adam - adammalik_sh@hotmail.com he was the most helpful person on the planet when it came to organising my wedding. The resorts have a set price (often alot) and our wedding was only a party of 5 (us included) and Adam tailors the wedding to fit your needs, he can do a lavish wedding with all the bells and wistles or he can do a private, intimate affair like ours (only extra I got was the photographer who was amazing!), he's very professional and also will act as your translator and document handler for all the paperwork (of which there is a bit) as well as being the Celebrant.

People will tell you there is alot involved in doing this and their not far off but it is WORTH IT!

So before you go - and you will need a few weeks - gather the following for both you and your husband or wife to be... (post Express where possible to speed it up)

Birth Certificates - must be originals (order them if you have to)

Single Status Search - also originals - will need to order these from Births, Deaths & Marriages

Any divorce certificates (where applicable)

Copies of your Passports (the face page bit with the number ect..)

Now the first three documents need to be "Authenticated" by the Australian Department of Foreign affairs (ours went to Brisbane - there is probably others in other capital cities) Thats why they need the originals. They will stamp it and send it back to you. - There is a fee per document - check the website for details.

Then you will need to send all the documents (passport copies included) to the Malaysian High Commision for them to approve. It's best to write a short note on these to say what you need them for. There is a fee per document.

Once all your documents are stamped and approved - send them to Adam, he will email his address, send these by DHL Courier if you can - its quick (about a week) as apposed to express international mail that takes about 3 weeks (hmmm... express ey?)

Once all your documents are in order and sent off to Adam you can relax. His fee is payable once you get there - dont worry he is very professional and has been doing this for a long time.

Honestly - any questions - contact Adam, I asked sooo many questions that may have seemed silly but I had never been to Langkawi before or been married before.

A marriage in Langkawi is recognised all over the world so there was no getting home and finding out it was bogus:)

It was mainly the order of the documents that tripped me up. They must be sent to the Aus Dept of Foreign Affairs first and then sent to the Malaysian High Commission and then can be sent to Adam in Malaysia.

Honestly - Its not that much and Adam is a great support.

GO FOR IT! We had so much fun and I wouldn't do it any other way!

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

What a nice topic, dear Ally,

I am sure this will help future guests.

Eva

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

I hope your wedding ceremony was conducted in English for you???

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

Hi

I have added this link to the FAQ on getting married.

Thanks

Mick

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,653 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

thankyou for this. very helpful.

as a note to couples frightened off by the long-winded procedure, it is worth noting: you can marry in your own country, in what ever way suits you, then hold a 'wedding' in malaysia. this approach, of legal marriage done on a small, low-budget scale followed by a 'wedding' later [sometimes months later] is popular with couples in malaysia as well.

for instance, you could arrange a register-office marriage at home, with just your witnesses, then do the whole white dress vows on the beach thingy in langkawi. your wedding-arranger can sort this out also.

5. Re: For Aussies who want to Marry in Langkawi!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi