We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Hi,

Me and the boyfriend are doing a 15 day trip incorporating the Perhentians, Tioman & noow probably Langkawi - I've heard really mixed reviews of Langkawi but want to go and see for myself...

We're both in mid 20s and have are happy to spend about $200-$250 MYR a night on accommodation - but not sure where in Langkawi is best to stay? We like bars, restaurants etc in the evening but I love exploring and finding half secluded beaches.

We've both done all the Thai islands, Cambodia, Vietnam etc and don't mind busy beaches as long as they're clean, and the sands white and water is blue! My favourite so far are the Gilli Islands in Indonesia, am I going to be disappointed with Langkawi if I expect this?!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,233 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Hi

Yes, I am afraid you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting pristine white beaches and blue water on Langkawi unless you can afford one of the hotels in the north of the island such as The Datai, Andaman or Tanjung Rhu.

Hotels are much more expensive here than in Thailand but look at such places as Sunset Beach, Tubotel, The Cabin or Malibest (if you can get one of the tree top rooms). All these places are in Pantai Cenang, which is the main tourist area on the island and close to lots of shops, restaurants and bars.

Lesley

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Hi, oh dear...then you will be disappointed..though that sentiments will be overshadowed when you come over and see the "magic",and the less commercial aspects of this island.

Oh yes, if compare with Tiga Gili, yep....Langkawi will be overshadowed...though she has also her tiga gili- Pregnant Maiden Island,Big Lion Island, and Wet Rice Island

and can promise you--you will not hear echos of massage ,tuk tuk, hair braiding when you sit and enjoy ....ok, only when you arrive at the Langkawi airport--- you might hear..car rental, motorbike rent, special discount for today, langkawi free map.

In addition to Pantai Cenang, nearby it-Pantai Tengah.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Yes - haven't heard great reports so we're going to head to the Perhentian Islands instead for a week, and then we're not too sure where for our second week! Thank you though :)

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi in August - where to stay!

Sounds exactly like what me and my gf love doing! A shame not much has come from this post I'm particularly interested in langkawi, looks really cool with the cable car and sky bridge and possibility of exploring by scooter but looks like I might head to the Perhentian Islands too!

5. Re: Langkawi in August - where to stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 18, 2014