We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

We have 2 kids aged 7 and 3 years -flying to Langkawi for 4 days and 3 nights starting this Sunday.

Need advice:

We plan to rent a car and are checking out http://www.envomarine.com/. Question: Can we pick up any rental cars from the airport and drive to the hotel to save on taxi cost?

We are staying at Perdana Beach Resort - Sari Emas. After going through tripadvisor, I've shortlisted:

1) Cable Car

2) Lake of the Pregnant Maiden

3) Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls

Questions: Are these child-friendly? Any other must-visits that I've missed?

What's the best itinerary for us? My 3 year-old still needs afternoon naps so we need to try to get back to the hotel between 12noon-3pm everyday if possible (else maybe she can sleep in the car or be carried)

All replies greatly appreciated.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,851 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Hi

There are lots of car hire companies at the airport. If you are going to hire a car, hire from there and it will save on taxi fares to your hotel.

The only way to get to the Lake of the Pregnant Maiden is to go on an island hopping trip which can be arranged through the activities desk at your hotel or one of the numerous places in Pantai Cenang.

You can visit the cable car and then drive up to Telaga Tujuh, which is not very far away.

Enjoy

Lesley

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Thanks, Lesley.

Any particular car rental company to recommend? I've read that we should go for a reputable one. Should I book online in advance - would it be cheaper? After checking online, rates seem to be around RM130 for Proton cars since it's school hols when I arrive - does that sound right to you?

London
Level Contributor
754 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

My kids were roughly same age when we went. Out of the tours you listed we did cable car, and that was fine. Loads of stuff around Oriental Village including a great rope slide.

If you're feeling adventurous then try one of the mangrove tours. We used http://www.langkawi-nature.com/ and booked out of Berjaya whwre they have a rep. You spend a lot of time in the boat, and when you stop theres no real rough terrain etc. Kids loved it, and it isn't as daunting as you may think. Although our 3 year old was 3 months short of 4 at the time.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Cable car and the Oriental Village (where its base station is) are surely good for young children. To get to the top of Telaga Tujuh there are about 600 steps to climb. When you get at top there are pools of water where children will want to play - be careful though as the rocks have algae growing on them and can be really slippery at places.

The mangrove tours are great and good with kids too.

Enjoy your holiday.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Hi,

Renting the car from the airport compared to renting it from the hotel is much cheaper.

Langkawi cable car is not to be miss. Also, you might want experience Langkawi from a different angle in which you might want to take a cruise out where you and the kids can enjoy the sea. It's great fun!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

Thanks to all, my entire family especially my 7 year old daughter are really excited about this trip =)

Edited: 1:53 am, May 25, 2013
7. Re: Family with young kids-need advice on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi