We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants recommended?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants recommended?

I'll be on Sheranton Langkawi on July, maybe we'll rent a car... anyway, please could anyone recommend me some good restaurants in Langkawi?. Also could tell me if they are good for lunch or dinner?.

I like Italian, Chinese, Seafood, Japanese, Grill or Churrascarias. Maybe Malaysian food even I've never tried it before.

I prefer a well presented and no so cheap restaurant; no so elegant either, I don't like etiquet or gala on holidays, but I like to eat very good, see very nice people, beautiful ambience, clean waitresses and of course good quality food.

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants recommended?

Gulai House, in between the Datai and Andaman resorts is a nice experience and the food, an Indian and Malay mix is very nice.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants recommended?

Hi Hayuelos, so from KL gastronomic delights, it shall then be in Langkawi, below is a list of restaurants that was posted earlier in TA (Langkawi) forum:-

ORCHID RIA - chinese (+ seafood) near casa del mar.very nice food .we paid approx 60RM (£10) for 2 chicken dishes,rice,noodles and 6 beers.the portion sizes are good.we ordered too much!!

RED TOMATOE GARDEN CAFE - 15 minute stroll.limited menu,mainly pasta and pizza in the evening but very nice,again with a couple of beers each about 60-70RM

TULSI GARDEN - INDIAN.

30 minute walk or a 5RM cab ride.a little gem we found at the end of our stay,very tasty food.

65RM for 2 dishes,rice each and garlic nan + 8 beers

LOSTERIA-ITALIAN

30 minute walk or 5RM cab ride

130RM for 2 main meals + 8 beers + hubbys chocolate fudge cake and coffee!

trendy,cosmopolitan feel.

SUN CAFE- WESTERN

130RM 2 steaks cooked to perfection + starter. 10 beers..

OUR FAVOURITE!!!!!!!

great service,background tunes,attention to detail little flowers on the napkins.very trendy and contemporary.

30 minute walk or 5 RM cab ride.

BON TON- FUSION CUISINE

5RM cab ride (left outside casa)

250RM . very good reports on trip advisor,we found it ok but expected more.

others rave about it.average service,average food but excellently presented.the beer is more pricey here too.opinions differ

LIGHT HOUSE- SEAFOOD/WESTERN

140RM our least favorite.again has good reviews,but we were not impressed.i do wonder if its anything to do with us not eating seafood.we had chicken/steak which wasnt well cooked.nice setting on the beach. 2 beers + 2 main meals.

T JAYS - PIZZA/PASTA

near underwater world.20 minute walk or 5RM cab ride.

good food.great service.

130RM -pizaa/pasta hubbys desert,couple of irish coffees and a few beers!!

PALACE OF INDIA -INDIAN

5 -10 minute walk .good food.good service but we preferred tulsi garden.

60RM- 2 chicken dishes,2 rice,garlic nan and about 4 beers.

For a good ambience Japanese dining experience, either the Japanese Restaurant at Andaman or UnKaizen at Pantai Cenag/Tengah area.

Or Cafe padi with views of paddy fields.

Not maybe rent a car--should rent a car; fabulous to drive around the island, even up to Gunung Raya to get panaromic views.

And the best thing--Langkawi is of duty free status, so no government tax, though it is only 10% compared to Indonesia's 21%!

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants recommended?

mkiaratravel,

Don't you think you should have mentioned Barn Thai, its easy enough to get to and the food is excellent.

Mr Yusef, the head man is a perfect gentleman.

Hayuelos, you can take a stroll around Telaga Harbour as well, they have a good choice of cuisine's available.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants recommended?

mtiaratravel,

I agree with you very much about The Lighthouse, they seem to think they are doing you a favour by allowing you to eat there.

The food is quite nice but way over priced. Nice to watch the sunset there, but thats about it. Sun Cafe is better value and you don't feel as though you are in the way there.

UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants recommended?

For Italian food try Mare Blu at Telaga Harbour Park, the food is great and it has a lovely atmosphere and good service.

If you like Thai food there are a few good places to try - the Thai restaurant in the Datai hotel is good and the setting is beautiful, there's also a nice thai place in the Oriental village, and Barn Thai is worth a visit too - although the food wasn't the best I've had, it is still nice and worth going for the setting.

They would all be good for dinner, although I hear that Barn Thai do a good lunch menu.

The Lighthouse that people have mentioned is nice for lunch, but I wouldn't go for dinner.

Have a great time!

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants recommended?

The Barn Thai do have a good lunchtime menu, the best way to do this is part of the mangrove tour, lunch is included in the price of the tour. It is good value.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants recommended?

Thanks everybody for all these recommendations.

Next is looking for adresses, check a map and make a route for all 5 days that I'll be there.

It seem almost every of those are very close from the hotel; but what about in Kuah. Where to eat when I go for shopping.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants recommended?

Hi Hayuelos, I am glad you are happy with the suggestions.

When you are in Kuah, shopping, one good place that I highly recommend is the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club- it is open to public; otherwise, in the evening, just opposite behind the imposing eagle statue, there will be rows of shops- look for names like Prawn Village, Sari Seafood Restaurant.

For really good Japanese food, in case, it has not been mentioned is Unkaizen at pantai Cenang/Tengah area. Another good Japanese restaurant is the one in the Andaman resort hotel; simply called The Japanese Restaurant.

There is also another Japanese restaurant in the Oriental Village, which in this forum, had been given a bad review.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants recommended?

There is also another Japanese restuarant in Kuah, just a few yards from Maybank. And there is a good Thai restuarant called Wan Thai, it is just along from the Hindu temple as you head out of town. It is off and behind the main road in Jalan Pandak Mayah.

Tried it last week, good food, no alcoholic drinks.

10. Re: Restaurants recommended?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 15, 2009