We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for dinner at Datai

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for dinner at Datai

Hello there

We are going to the datai as part of our honeymoon in June - can someone please advise what sort of dress is required for dinner - is it like some places in the carribean where no shorts, t-shirts are allowed at dinner? Hubbie is happy to wear tailored shorts and linen trousers etc for dinner, but seems a little hot for more! As for me, I usually wear tops with linen trousers or skirts and nice sandals/flops - is this okay?

Just don't want to look underdressed, or buy more clothes and end up looking over dressed!

thanks for your help

Mangoes
$$ - $$$, European
Yasmin Restaurant
$$ - $$$, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Grill
London, UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

Hi there,

Yes, your suggestion of tailored shorts/linen trousers etc is perfect. The nice thing is that if you are dressed up or just smart casual then that's fine.

Have a great time, don't forget to post your review

Livery

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

bups,

As livery says, your clothes will be fine for the Datai, you can wear what you like ..... smart casual, shorts included. The one exception is at The Pavillion Restuarant where long trousers are required in the evenings. Short sleeved open neck shirt is the norm, not tucked in at the waist, the way the malaysians and resort staff wear theirs.

Please don't overdress, smart, casual and informal are the keywords. No glitz on Langkawi, even The Datai is laid back !.

Excellent choice of resorts, have a wonderful honeymoon.

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

You will love it.. we were at the Datai last week for the first part of our honeymoon..

I will go home with all my 'evening' clothes unworn. It is smart casual.. polo shirts or short sleeved shirts for the men.. linen trousers and flip flops perfect!

For the girls, skirts and little tops/ strappy t shirts fine.

I am very jealous, enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

great, thanks for all of your responses - those of you who have been for honeymoon - any tips, must do things etc?

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

bups,

If you and your Hubbie are the romantic type The Datai do a nice private dinner on the beach, weather permitting. You can also take a short stroll through the jungle to The Guluai House, which is an indian/malay restuarant, the setting is amazing and it is signposted all the way there.

You can also walk along the beach to The Andaman, they have a brilliant Japanese restuarant, the Tepanyaki counter is not to be missed, have them book this in advance, it only seats 6/8 people.

The Datai staff will drive you over if you don't want to walk.

Langkawi is not really the kind of place that has absolute must do's.

If there was these would be mine and I have done them all numerous times, just for the fun of it.

The Langkawi Cable Car - go to The Oriental Village for this.

The Mangrove Tour - if you are interested let me know and I will give you a phone number for this, you can book through the Datai but at inflated prices.

4 hr island hopping boat trip - Can be booked on Pantai Cenang Beach the day before. Go to the Beach Garden Resort and walk through onto the beach, turn left and walk about 100yds, you'll see a signpost.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi
Langkawi
Oriental Village
Oriental Village
573 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Langkawi Mangrove Tour - Day Tours
Langkawi Mangrove Tour...
314 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Pantai Cenang
Pantai Cenang
Langkawi, Malaysia
Dublin
Level Contributor
278 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

I am very interested in the private dinner on the beach, do you have to book this in advance and is it very expensive?

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

juicyjules,

I am sorry I don't have the prices available to me but I doubt it will come cheap. It's designed for honeymooners and dreadful romantics, I'm sure its great fun though.

You won't need to book this untill you arrive in Langkawi, just let the resort know what evening you'd like to book it.

One thing to remember is that once you have paid you take a chance, if it rains they will move you to a covered area, they won't refund your payment.

This dinner is available at both the Datai and the Andaman, so if you want to do it check the prices and menu with both resorts.

Don't forget to tell them you're on a honeymoon even if you're not.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

So far as must do's go...

The Beach Dinner looked lovely, but in reality you will only be right by the trees at the top of the beach and not paddling round by the water. We did see it and the tables looked fab with loads of candles. If you dont fancy sand in your shoes then I would suggest a meal at the Beach Club and get an outside table right on the edge of the patio near the sea.. you will still only be a few metres from the sea!

For food, the Thai Pavillion at the Datai and the Gulai House at the Andaman.. you can have tables or you can sit on the fllor in a private area surronded by flowing semi transparent curtains (I would say net curtains but that really wouldnt give the right impression!)

If you like to go out and about, hire a car from the airport (we paid £10 per day.. but you need to haggle!) The Datai will also do car hire if you just want the odd day. Do the Cable Car and go out in the evening to Pantai Cenang (SW of the island). It is where most of the hotels are.. we thought it would be too touristy but some of the restaurants are fantastic. The Orchid Ria was full of locals and we had the best food of the week for £21 for a meal!!!

For a fantastic cocktail cruise, we went to crystalyacht.com. The Datai will book it for you. The boat went from the jetty at Pantai Cenang and was 3 hours sailing around the nearby islands. If you can, get on the boat owned by Phil. He was an Australian guy and incredibly knowledgeable. The boat was his and crewed by him and 2 locals.. free drinks and canapes and there were only 2 couples on board. There is a music system so you could make the cruise as lively or not as you would like! It was about £20 each...

Is worth going for a stroll around Kuah town.. but not great malls!

So far as the big mountain is concerned (I think its called Gunang Ru) you can drive up it but there is nothing at the top as it is Government buildings.. the views are fab but make sure you go on a really clear day or the top will be in cloud and you won't see anything!!

Mentioned in this post
Datai
Datai
Langkawi, Malaysia
The Gulai House
The Gulai House
309 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Pantai Cenang
Pantai Cenang
Langkawi, Malaysia
Kuah
Kuah
Langkawi, Malaysia
Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

Hi,

rpmoore has great info, Gunung Raya is nearly always cloud covered. The cruises are good, you might also consider Stardust, they have a beautiful yacht if thats your kind of thing.

Happy Hols.

Mentioned in this post
Gunung Raya
Gunung Raya
426 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
10. Re: Dressing for dinner at Datai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, August 14, 2009