We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swim or snorkel in beach?

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Swim or snorkel in beach?

Hi

Please bear with me as we are looking at Langkawi for our family trip in May.

Can we snorkel anywhere? I thought I read that jellyfish are a big problem on the island?

Our young kids love to snorkel in Fiji in the past so we are hoping Langkawi offers something similar?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,340 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swim or snorkel in beach?

Hi

The waters around the island are not very clear and there are no coral reefs, so snorkelling from any of the beaches is not ideal. I doubt that there will be very much to see.

The best diving is by taking a full day trip to Pulau Payar. East Marine Divers and Langkawi Coral both do this trip so check out their websites for details.

If snorkelling is high on your to do list then probably Langkawi is not the place for you

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swim or snorkel in beach?

Dear Luclan,

I am on Lesley side. Langkawi's beauty is abundant but above the water line. The best in the area is Koh Lipe, Thailand.

Eva

Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swim or snorkel in beach?

Thankyou for the honest replies.

That's very disappointing for us as we go to an island too swim in the beautiful waters. Looks like Langkawi is now off the list ;(

dorset
Level Contributor
545 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swim or snorkel in beach?

On the other side of the peninsula, there is snorkelling at the Perhentian Islands.

5. Re: Swim or snorkel in beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 08, 2014