We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel, Location and Car hire

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Topic
Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi,

Me and my partner are travelling to langkawi in May. couple of questions:

-Trying to decide whether to stay at the westin or Berjaya? Leaning towards the Berjay for the privacy of the rooms, is this hotel a good choice?

-Is Berjaya a good area to stay in Langkawi? in relation to markets, restaurants, shopping, site seeing?

-I notice alot of people hire cars, is this the common and conveient thing to do? or are taxis just as convenient?

we are only staying for 4 nights, your help is muchily appreciated :)

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi

The Berjaya is an excellent hotel and the one where I always stay because I love it so much.

It is in quite a remote area, about a 20 min drive into Pantai Cenang where there are lots of shops, restaurants and bars. Taxis are very easy to get around the island and the cost of one into Cenang is 26RM each way.

However, car hire is also very popular and equally easy to do. You can hire cars at Berjaya or at the airport when you arrive.

Telaga Harbour is around a 10 min drive from Berjaya and there are several very popular restaurants here which you could try. The Berjaya does have 5 in-house restaurants serving different types of food, so you will not go hungry.

If you like wildlife then the Berjaya should be top of your list as the resort is huge, built in the rainforest and is teeming with some amazing animals.

Hope this helps

Lesley

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Thanks alot lesley.

do you know if its more affordable catching Taxis or to hire a car?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi

Afraid I don't know because I never hire a car when I am there. I always use taxis which I find more convenient and I like to have a drink!!!

You do not have to hire a car for the whole time you are there. You could try both. A decent car will cost around 60/80RM per day plus petrol and petrol is relatively cheap in Malaysia compared to what we pay in the UK.

Lesley

Perth, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Ok great. We enjoy a drink too so I think we will be sticking iwth Taxi's.

We are now booking the berjaya.. :)

you sound like a langkawi regular, Can you give us any tips on where to shop? where is good to eat, good bar? and nice romantic spots, like a waterfall nice beach etc?

Sorry for all the questions..

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi

The closest eateries to Berjaya are at Perdana Quay, a 5 min taxi ride away.

The beach at Berjaya is superb so you wont need to travel far.

7 wells waterfall is very close by & there are 2 other falls that might interest you, Temurun & Durian.

You can go shopping in either Kuah or along Pantai Cenang, where you will find numerous bars & restaurants.

Mick

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

if you r looking to explore the place a bit Berjaya might be a little inconvenient..

we rented a car and it was okay to drive down to Cenang each day.. but without that the taxis would have worked out to be evry expensive..

Cheers!

Aishu

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,091 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi Emma

The Pahn Thai restaurant at the Berjaya is a very popular place but it does get booked up very quickly so if you want to eat there, book a table as soon as you arrive. Book for round about sunset as this is a really stunning time and very romantic.

Privilege at Telaga Harbour is another great place to eat. A bit more expensive than most but well worth it. Again, it is advisable to book.

There are numerous restaurants and bars in Pantai Cenang. I quite like Babylon and Little Lillias and Yellow Cafe is also good.

See you in May....... :o)

Lesley

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
327 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Is Berjaya a good area to stay in Langkawi? in relation to markets, restaurants, shopping, site seeing?- actually no..

renting a car or bike- yes if you can drive that works out much cheaper than takin taxis.. and if you intend to explore by yourself and also go out for food quite a lot..

apart from the suggsted restaurants try Tjays--right opposite the underwater world.. we had a good time there!

Cheers!

Aishu

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

There is a car rental company at the Berjaya. Here are some of their prices for a day (24 hrs) rental.

Proton Savvy RM120

Nissan Sentra RM200

Suzuki 125 cc scooter RM55

I have seen better prices quoted elsewhere but renting at the hotel makes it easy. Gas is cheap, only RM2 a liter. Enjoy.

Norfolk.
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel, Location and Car hire

Hi

The prices that Yuke has given are a little high & negotiable, especially if you want the car for more than 1 day.

We prefer to hire a car for the duration of our stay & that works out at RM70 per day for Proton Saga auto.

Happy planning

Mick

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi