We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Anadaman - food prices

uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Anadaman - food prices

Hi,

We have booked at the Andaman in early June on a room only basis. Can anyone advise us on the costs of breakfast, snack at lunch and dinner.........is it expensive by Malaysian standards and is it value for money?

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

Hi

The prices at The Andaman are reasonable if you compare them to places in the UK. I do think you should have booked bed & breakfast though as there is nothing in the immediate vicinity, you'll need to hire a car and drive about 20/25 minutes to find another restuarant.

They serve breakfast at the Mediterranean Restuarant in the resort, this is buffet style (eat all you want) and they also have an al a carte menu.

For lunch ..... the poolside menu is great, prices are fair

In the evenings there is a good choice as you can also use the facilitied at the sister resort ..... The Datai. They will allow you to cross sign. Between them both they have a choice of around seven restuarants.

If you hire a car and get out and about you will make very good savings on food & beverage at the local restuarants

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

stoty,

Forgot to mention they also do beautiful themed buffets in the evenings at The Andaman poolside terrace. Weather permiting.

My husband and I went last month, the choice of foods is first class,

roast meats, barbeque, assorted shellfish, fish and all kinds of fruit and veg and desserts. Most dishes were prepared there and then. They have strolling minstrels to serenade the guests.

The price was 20 GBP p/p. Not including drinks.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

Hi stoty, Andaman is considered a higher end hotel by Malaysian standards.

I have patronise Andaman F&B outlets, but in my personal opinion, for the ambience, food presentation, service level, quality of cutlery and plates used, the price is fine.

One must take into consideration when dining, not only on the food, but the ambience, the service level, the cutlery and plates (and if they are clean), comfort level, menu variety, freshness of food, and take a steak for example, how tender is the meat and whether it was prepared to your preference, i.e. well done, raw, etc.

And if one likes wines, how is the wine list..and places like Andaman, Datai, Tanjung Rhu, and Four Seasons in langkawi, and not forgetting Andrew Drummond's Cafe Del Mar, they worked hard to meet these expectations.

And if you know or have heard of Malaysia's celebrity chef-Chef Wan, he was once doing a cooking show in the afternoon sunshine, by the Andaman's poolside, and when I mentioned, "fancy bumping into here" in his ever sense of humour, replied "I have to maintain my standards, here, just finished this beef rendang and Kedah Laksa, taste lah, sure pass the quality and taste tests".

Do enjoy your stay in the Andaman and they have a good Japanese restaurant too, and you be the judge to your questions--you are the best judge and GBP vis-a-vis MYR, you will surely get great value for your money.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

The Japanese Restuarant at The Andaman is excellent, booking is usually a must depending of the time of year you are going. I think you won't have any problems booking in june.

You have a choich of three eating experiences.

Standard tables in the open plan area, Tepanyaki Counter or Tatami Room (private room).

They also have a wine cellar which is available for inspection, not all wines are on the wine list.

All the staff are extremely freindly and helpful and it is far better value than Japanese restuarants in the UK.

If you are going to try Japanese food in Langkawi this is the best,

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

Stoty, am sure you are pleased now.

Robelyn15 - another great Japanese restaurant in Langkawi, is of course - Unkaizan at pantai tengah, with its location on a hillside, am sure you have enjoyed the magnificient sunsets overlooking the Andaman sea over a sake and sashimi toro.

I understand it is opened by a staff from The Andaman Japanese Rest.

Well, I hope the weather in Langkawi improves..over back in KL, we have been having heavy downpour, followed by light showers (yesterday morning, it started with a heavy downpour and the light showers lasted until 1300hrs, then around 4pm, the sun came out). Today (May 19), blue skies and the sun, hope it holds well until the end the of day.

It would be nice, if Leigh (Langkawi local expert) and /or yourself, who are in Langkawi, post a new topic in Langkawi forum-entitled "Langkawi weather for the past three days", then again, will it be worthwhile--will it dampen other TAs' spirits, will it result in trip cancellation, because the weather could be downcast, grey, no sun for the last three days, and hold and behold, the winds direction change and we get brillant sunshine, blue skies after that.

I have been very lucky in all my visits to langkawi, it never rained when I was wide awake, enjoying the beach, driving around the island with the car roof up, having barbeque on the beach-- and I hope this will be experienced by all prospective TAs who are making their trip to Langkawi.

Say hello to helang

uk
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

Thanks to you both for taking time to enlighten us.

Many thanks

Stoty

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

mkiaratravel,

Pleased to report that yesterday was very hot and very sunny all day, just a little cloud, but no rain at all.

Yes, we know Unkaizan well, been quite a few times and always had great food and service, my sister held her wedding reception there two years ago.

The Unkaizan is the only japanese owned restuarant in Langkawi now that the Kamogawa company has pulled out of The Andaman.

It is now called The Japanese Restuarant, used to be The Kamogawa Tepanyaki, as you may recall.

The owner of Unkaizan (nicknamed Charlie Jo) is indeed a former Andaman chef, I think he was with them for around two years.

Needless to say, the Unkaizan culinary standards are extremeley high.

The good thing is the two restuarants don't compete with each other as Unkaizans speciality is very seafood orientated.

Typing this is starting to make me hungry ......... think we may go there for a fish & veg steamboat this weekend.

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

I think Leigh is around Pantai Tengah, we are in Kuah, up on the hillside overlooking the bay towards Porto Malai.

Some days it is cloudy over the town and we can see glorious sunshine on the otherside of the island. I think Langkawi has its own micro climate. So if we did a weather report for the same day they may very well be completely different.

Must say to anyone coming to Langkawi, don't let the occasional shower put you off. Everything smells so fresh and vibrant afterwards, especially at the resorts surrounded by jungle.

9. Re: The Anadaman - food prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 13, 2009