We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full moon party

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Full moon party

My wife and I are due in langkawi over new year(cdm). I was wondering if anybody knew of any full moon beach parties. I presume we would have to travel off Langkawi for this into Thailand and we wondered if anyone knew where to go that is relatively easy or will it not be possible?

Thanks for your help

Paul and Claire

Mentioned in this post
Chatsworth
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Full moon party

Hi

i stayed in langkawi and i know that during the festive season,,,,, there will be born fires but nor full moon thing. this will be celebrated in penang during the chinese new year

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Full moon party

Hi

The kind of "Full Moon" beach parties I think you are looking for are not held anywhere in Malaysia. Large gatherings on the beaches at night are discouraged. So if you are coming to Langkawi you will need to take the ferry to Satun and then head up to the islands of Thailand.

Would it not be easier for you to go to Thailand directly from the UK, Langkawi is peaceful and relaxing, if partying is you're thing then you may find the pace a little slow to say the least.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester uk
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full moon party

Having been to langkawi previously I know what the island has to offer and what to expect . I was wondering however, if anybody knows of any Thai islands nearby where fullmoon parties might be held within reach for a 2 night stay in our 3 week holiday over Christmas and new year. If anybody has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Paul and Claire

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
145 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full moon party

Robelyn I have just re read my message and realise it sounds sarcastic. It isn't meant to be and thanks again for your help

Georgetown, Penang
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Full moon party

Hello,

Glad you liked Langkawi enough to come back again. There is not any island nearby that have the "Full Moon".

Apparently the best full moon parties are at Koh Pa-Ngan on Hat Rin Nok beach. Never been myself.

To get there though its a boat to Satun, taxi to Hat Yai and on by train to Surat Thani, then another boat. Fairly long winded but I am told its the nearest. You may be able to fly from Hat Yai on AirAsia.

The other thing to remember is the ongoing problems in south Thailand, things may be stepped up at that time of year.

We were over last month and there are quite a few military road blocks around.

In reference to the full moon in Penang, they don't allow them to release the lanterns now as it causes to many problems for incoming and departing aircraft.

Mentioned in this post
Penang
Penang
Malaysia
6. Re: Full moon party

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, August 12, 2009